Promotion question for OD 2.6

Hi, My company has projects with multiple nuget deployment processes built into each project and we have noticed that when we promote from environment to environment the same steps that are skipped in the previous environment aren’t automatically skipped in the next environment. I am wondering if this is normal or if there is someway to force the skipped processes to be skipped when we promote from one environment to the next.

Thanks!

Hi Justice,
When you say that some steps are skipped do you mean before performing the deployment of a release you toggle off some steps, or do you mean that you use step conditions? We don’t automatically skip steps that have been manually toggled off for a deployment since by their very nature such functionality is intended to be used as one-off or on-demand and not part of the normal build process. If they need to be consistently skipped perhaps the steps or projects themselves should be written in such a way as to programatically have this happen. What particular scenario are you trying to get this to work for?
Cheers,
Robert

Yes, the steps are skipped manually. I understand your reasoning for making it so it does not skip the same items even when you are promoting from environment to environment.

In our environments for instance we have Integration, QA, and Production. with the way we work, we allow Developers to deploy to Integration and QA, with the service group who is responsible for the infrastructure being the group to deploy to Production.

Our issues stem from a project with multiple nuget packages, we have a site that has 12 different nuget code packages that has 12 processes for those packages. This group usually only deploys one or two code packages a release but that all depends on what they are working on so they manually skip the processes they don’t deploy. Having “Skip packages that are already installed” selected doesn’t help in this instance as the developers upload new packages regularly that should not move to QA or Production so that is why steps are skipped manually.

This is why I was wondering if there is anyway to force those manually skipped steps to move across when we promote to different environments as currently we have to manually go back and check to see what steps were skipped and as you can imagine when different groups have to do deployments sometimes a mix up occurs and some steps are not skipped resulting in us having to restore the site from a backup and redo the deployment.

Hi Justice,
Although we dont currently plan on supporting persisting skipped steps through environments you might be interested in an related uservoice suggestion which could help in your situation.
If this feature gets enough support from the community we may implement it in a future version. If it were available I could imagine you might be able to use variables to conditionally skip steps which could be configured at release time.
Add your thoughts to this suggestion to give it more support and keep an eye on it in the future.
Cheers,
Robert