Project with multiple long lived version

I have a project that is moving from a version 1.x to 2.x. But we will need to have both versions available for an unspecified amount of time. The expectation is that there will be bug fixes deployed to 1.x and new features in 2.x.

My first thought was to use ‘channels’ to support deploying both version from the single project. So I setup the 2 channels and scoped all the required variables. I was able to successfully deploy both versions. #SoFarSoGood.

I was surprised when I went to the Dashboard and only see the 1.x release. Also, in the project overview I see both releases but the 2.x channel release is slightly grayed-out. This makes it look like the v2 isn’t actually deployed or was overwritten.

The only differences in the deployment process is in the IIS site name and port number, which are handled by scoped variables.

Is this the correct method of supporting multiple long lived versions of the same project? or should I create a cloned project and maintain both?

Thanks,
Rick…

Hi Rick,

Thanks for getting in touch. From what you’re describing, you are absolutely doing the right thing. Prior to Octopus 3.4 we haven’t done a very good job at displaying releases from multiple channels on the Project Overview, but we’ve done a lot of work on the dashboards as part of Octopus 3.4 which should make this scenario much easier to manage. Here’s an example I’ve done so you can see what the new dashboard would look like when we release Octopus 3.4 this month:

You can also sign in to our demo server as a guest and have a look around: http://octopus34beta2.southeastasia.cloudapp.azure.com/app#/projects/multiple-long-lived-channels

Hope that helps!
Mike

Great! Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to the 3.4 release.

Rick…

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.