Project variables dissapeared

On of our users seems to have removed a lot of variables from one of our projects. My guess is that it has something to do with his authorizations. Just before the deletion occurred, he was granted rights to additional environments.

Initially he only had rights to edit variables on some environments, lets call them ENV-1 and ENV-2. Later, he gained rights to ENV-3 and ENV-4.
After he changed a variable and saved the variable set, all variables not specifically scoped to ENV-1 or ENV-2 were deleted.

So basically, the following variables disappeared.

• All variables without environment scope
  • All variables with environment scope ENV-3 and/or ENV-4, even if they also scoped ENV-1 and/or ENV-2

The audit log simply shows that the variables disappeared and, of course, the user ensures me he did nothing wrong and i tend to believe that he won’t delete ~20 variables willingly.

I managed to restore the variables manually from the variable snapshot from a previous deployment, but this seems like a bug to me. Can anyone take a look at this?

Running Octopus Server v2020.5.1 btw.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support. I’m sorry you ran into this issue.

I hope you don’t mind, I have a few questions:

• What version of Octopus were you running prior to 2020.5.1?
  • How soon after being granted additional permission did this issue occur?
  • Did the user happen to log out and back in after being granted the new permissions?
  • Are they still experiencing inconsistencies regarding variables scoped in this way?

Let me know at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

Last friday we upgraded from version 2020.4.10.
The user was granted the rights about 12 minutes before the issue occurred, i don’t think he logged out and in again (didn’t ask him to).
The issue hasn’t occurred again that we know of. The user in question hasn’t touched the variables as he is afraid he’ll break it again.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the quick response.

Would it be possible to do a SQB db backup or VM snapshot (or copy/paste the variables into a text doc), then have the affected user attempt to make a change again?

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

Sorry for not getting back any sooner.

I asked the user to reproduce the issue, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depends how you look at it), the variables were still there afterwards.

Regards,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Hopefully this was just a one-off (possibly due to caching?). :crossed_fingers: If it crops up again, feel free to reach out.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this or anything else.

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.