Project url from project id instead of project name

Hello,
(I’m using Octopus 2018.8.8)

I would like to know if there is a possibility to have project url generated from the project Id instead of the project name.
In my team, project names are not immutable, and when updating a project name, all links pasted in our documentation are broken. By having a url link based on the id, we would then not spend time on updating or doc.

I apologize if the question as already been asked.

Hi @johan.denison,

Thanks for getting in touch! You can actually specify the project Id in the URL which will automatically redirect the page to that project. i.e. if you visit [OctoURL]/app#/spaces-1/projects/projects-1 in your browser that will redirect to the correct project that is projects-1.

We also have a deployment-level system variable Octopus.Web.ProjectLink
which returns “A path relative to the Octopus Server URL at which the project can be viewed”, e.g. /app/projects/projects-123, in case that helps.

I tested this with my local 2020.3.4 instance, but I don’t imagine anything related to this has been touched since 2018.8.8. :slight_smile:

Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions or concerns!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hello @Kenneth_Bates,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have tested and it is working. Thanks for the tip!

It is a bit of work to get the project id from the API but I’m glad that I won’t need to worry anymore about my documentation.

Johan

Hi Johan,

You’re quite welcome! Glad to hear that seems like it will help in the long run. :slight_smile:

Let us know if we can help with anything else in the future!

Best regards,

Kenny