Project url from project id instead of project name

Hello,
(I’m using Octopus 2018.8.8)

I would like to know if there is a possibility to have project url generated from the project Id instead of the project name.
In my team, project names are not immutable, and when updating a project name, all links pasted in our documentation are broken. By having a url link based on the id, we would then not spend time on updating or doc.

I apologize if the question as already been asked.

Hi @johan.denison,

Thanks for getting in touch! You can actually specify the project Id in the URL which will automatically redirect the page to that project. i.e. if you visit [OctoURL]/app#/spaces-1/projects/projects-1 in your browser that will redirect to the correct project that is projects-1.

We also have a deployment-level system variable Octopus.Web.ProjectLink
which returns “A path relative to the Octopus Server URL at which the project can be viewed”, e.g. /app/projects/projects-123, in case that helps.

I tested this with my local 2020.3.4 instance, but I don’t imagine anything related to this has been touched since 2018.8.8. :slight_smile:

Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions or concerns!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hello @Kenneth_Bates,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have tested and it is working. Thanks for the tip!

It is a bit of work to get the project id from the API but I’m glad that I won’t need to worry anymore about my documentation.

Johan

Hi Johan,

You’re quite welcome! Glad to hear that seems like it will help in the long run. :slight_smile:

Let us know if we can help with anything else in the future!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.