Process Templates

Hi,

I have applications (projects) that have the same process (same step templates) just different packages.

Is it possible to create “process template”, or to base project on another project?

Hi Yosi,

Thanks for reaching out. Its not possible to create “Process templates” (you can create Step Templates though), but you can clone a project as many times as you want

Hope that helps

Dalmiro

This is fine if the project configuration never changes. If you change your process you have to update EVERY project. This is annoying and time consuming. Seems like Process Templates would solve a lot of headaches for my team.
Thanks,
Howard

Hi Howard,

We are planning a feature called Multi-Tenancy that we hope will resolve the need to have multiple projects that are essentially the same: https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/5730598-support-tenants-as-a-third-dimension-to-deployment
It sounds like this would help your situation?

Cheers,
Shane

I think so… Just to be sure, I have several websites I that vary only by install location and the nuget package they get from Teamcity. Will this feature cover that scenario?

Thanks,
Howard

Hi Howard,

How different are the packages? Are the package names the same but a different version?

You may even be able to achieve this with our upcoming Channels feature. You will be able to scope steps and variables to a “Channel”. So you could have Client A and Client B channels in the same project. If the packages have the same name but different version, you can scope a version to a channel and use the same package deploy step. Otherwise you could make a deploy step for Client A and one for Client B but the rest of your process is shared.

That way you can change your process and it will affect all channels (Client A and Client B) instead of having to clone projects and changing all of them whenever your process changes.

I think this would help. We are hoping to get a beta out late next week.

Cheers,
Shane

They are different websites installed on the same machine(s). So, the source packages (Site_A.nupkg, Site_B.nupkg) and install path (C:\Websites\Site_A, C:\Websites\Site_B) are the only differences.

Thanks,
Howard

Hi Howard,

Yes, this case will be solved with multi-tenancy. It will be the next feature we work on. https://octopus.com/company/roadmap

Cheers
Shane

Hi!

I’m also very very interested in such “Process Template” feature which would allow to define general process template with all the common variables required for it and then i could link it to any project i would like and could override template variables with projects variables. Atm, it’s really time-consuming when you have to add some common step to deployment process in about 50 projects just going manually through all of them in gui and doing basic stuff all over and over again.
Perfect example is what you have in TeamCity - Build Configuration Templates. (It’s 1min there what takes in Octopus for 50 projects about 1h )

Shane, your workaround with channels might be reasonable when you have few projects, but it would be nightmare managing all the channels and scoping hundreds of variables if you have about 50 projects with same process.

Please consider that feature to add as soon as possible!

Thanks!
Andris