Process needs to be saved for past releases

OctopusDeploy saves the variables used in a particular release, but it doesn’t save the process. I can see the deployed packages and I can look at the log to see which steps were run, but I don’t see a way to review the actual contents of a step.

I’ve seen some people discuss source control, and perhaps this is related to that discussion. Right now, if I want to look at some historical deployment information, I can review tagged scripts in source control. If I move to Octopus Deploy, I don’t have that option. I was kind of hoping that when I look at the history, OD would show me the actual steps used so I could review them.

Hi,

You can view the snapshot of a deployment process for a release by querying the API. If you go to /api/releases each release has a field called ProjectDeploymentProcessSnapshot. Follow the link and you will find the deployment steps for that release. Is that what you are looking for?

With Octopus 3.0 we have included an exporter so if you wanted to keep your deployment process in source control you could add a hook whenever a release is created to do an export and push to your source control. We have intentionally made the export source control friendly.

Please let me know if this answers your questions or if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
Shane

Thanks for the reply. It’s good to know that the process is actually saved somewhere, even if the UI doesn’t show it. My initial thought was that if I opened up a specific release, the UI would show me the process steps that were used for that release. That would still be nice.

As far as export, I could only find an option to export everything, not a specific release. Ultimately, I can drill down in the exported files and find the json for a specific release and see what was there. Thank you for nicely formatting the exported files so they’re more human readable :slight_smile: At least if I needed to audit something, I can do an export and accomplish this.

The output may not lend itself to easily seeing differences between versions in a source control system, as each release gets its own folder. I supposed I could commit them in a specific order and then get that organization in source control if I wanted it.