Problems Installing services with 2.3.3

Hey so we have many servers and a couple different version of OD. For this I have tested with 2.3.4, 2.3.3, and 2.1.3.

I was trying to deploy a windows service and was unable too because of what looked like an error in my deployment process. Turns out it was a problem with the OD service deployment script in 2.3.3 only. I installed 2.1.3 on one of the servers and the service deployed correctly. And I installed 2.3.4 on one of the other servers and it deployed successfully as well.

|         Failed: Octopus.Features.WindowsService_BeforePostDeploy.ps1
17:12:01   Info     |           The ServiceName service already exists; it will be stopped and reconfigured
17:12:01   Info     |           Stopping the ServiceNamee service
17:12:01   Info     |           sc.exe config "ServiceName" binPath= "\"D:\WebApps\T6\ServiceName\1.0.80-SNAPSHOT_8\ServiceName.exe\"" DisplayName= "ServiceName" start= "auto" obj= "user" password= "***********"
17:12:01   Info     |           [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS
17:12:01   Info     |           Starting the ServiceName service
17:12:01   Error    |           Start-Service : Service 'ServiceName (ServiceName)''
17:12:01   Error    |           cannot be started due to the following error: Cannot start service ServiceName on computer '.'.
17:12:01   Error    |           At C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Scripts\Octopus.Features.WindowsSer
17:12:01   Error    |           vice_BeforePostDeploy.ps1:123 char:15
17:12:01   Error    |           +     Start-Service <<<<  $ServiceName
17:12:01   Error    |           + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceControl
17:12:01   Error    |           ler:ServiceController) [Start-Service], ServiceCommandException
17:12:01   Error    |           + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Comman
17:12:01   Error    |           ds.StartServiceCommand
17:12:01   Fatal    |           PowerShell script returned a non-zero exit code: 1

Hi - thanks for getting in touch.

Are there any tasks earlier in the same deployment that produced warnings or show with an orange “succeeded with warnings” tick in the Task Log view? Sometimes (in 2.3.3) a warning from an earlier step indicates a problem that should have caused a failure but did not and therefore triggers a failure in a later step.

Regards,
Nick

Nick,

No there was nothing that failed or had a warning before. In fact when I go to the local machine and look at the service it was successfully started, but the step still fails.