Previous version step templates

Hi there,

is there a way to view previous versions of a step template?

Kind regards,
Erwin

Hi Erwin,

You sure can, they are in our GitHub Repository. Here’s an example: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Library/commit/cc87dcf487d77e9c3c541597534c3b0b484674df

Hope that helps!
Mike

Hi Mike,

I meant my custom created step templates within Octopus. I see a versionnumber but no history.

Kind regards,
Erwin

Hi Erwin,

Ah, now I see what you mean. There is no way to go back in history in Octopus to see changes you’ve made to your Script Templates. Our recommendation is that you keep/manage/modify your Script Templates in a git repository and modify them there, and then import them in to Octopus as a final step. This way you have the best level of control.

We are talking about building a better integration with git for things like Script Templates, Script Modules, ad-hoc Scripts and the like. This way instead of managing your scripts externally, and copy-pasting, Octopus would integrate directly with your git repository.

To be clear, this is just in the idea phase, we haven’t started working on it. In the meantime I’d recommend managing your scripts in a git repo, and paste them in to Octopus.

Hope that helps!
Mike

According to Octopus the release have a snapshot of the version it is using. Is it possible to see what scripts a previous release is using?

Hi!

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to bear bad news, but there is no easy way to inspect the version of a Step Template being used by a specific Release. The only way I know of to do something like this would be to inspect the SQL Database and find the matching VariableSet and DeploymentProcess that was snapshotted for that release.

Our recommendation moving forward is to make use of Channels: https://octopus.com/blog/rfc-removing-snapshots This way you can more easily see exactly which steps are being run for different releases in those channels.

Hope that helps!
Mike

There is a way to get around this problem. You can look at the Task Log for old releases which will tell you what the old version of the script was doing.

Hi Brian,

Nice idea, thanks for posting!
Mike