Prevent repeat of step on different target but same tasks

Imaging the need is to create a web site on 2 servers in a farm, but the IIS home directory points to a UNC path. The files only need to be deployed twice, but since there are 2 deployment targets for the role, the step ends up publishing files twice.

How should I avoid this? Best solution I’ve come up with so far, is to use a separate server to manage the file deployment, and target that role (which will always only have one server assigned). Seems kludgy.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting in touch! Would you be able to expand a bit more to ensure I fully understand your goal and requirements? What’s the reason you need it on a UNC path instead of on each server?

When discussing this with my team, an idea came to mind, where instead of using the built-in IIS step, perhaps you could use a combination of library step templates (written by the community), and then have one more step that copies the package to the directory. You can refer to these templates at the following link, where there are a large number of IIS-specific steps.

https://library.octopusdeploy.com/listing

Would this approach help? Let me know what you think, or if you just have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.