Pre Release Tag and auto deploy

Hi,

I am trying to automate my deployment of dev branch to a dev environment. I can get the build up to octopus, but it doesnt appear to auto deploy for some reason. Here is my setup:

1. I have a git repo using gitflow. On top of that I use VSO to build and do an octopack of my Resident.Query service up to octopus. I specify a
    /p:OctoPackAppendToVersion=Develop
    at the end of the build params to ensure i get a -Develop appended so I can auto deploy these to my dev env.

2. In octopus, I setup 2 channels, one called Develop with JUST my dev environment in it, and another Release channel for all other envs. In the develop channel i set a version rule to try only allow *-Develop builds to auto deploy to Dev env. I wasnt able to add a tag like *Develop, so just put Develop in here (see attached).

When i make a change to Resident.Query dev branch, a new build is uploaded to the library in octopus, but it doesnt deploy… previously without the version rule, i could auto deploy.

What am i doing wrong :slight_smile: :frowning:

Thanks in advance!

Neil

Ok so it deploys, it also allows me to create a release manually for my release channel, even though I have ^Develop as the tag in the channel version rule.

Am i using this wrong?

Hi Neil,

Thanks for getting in touch.

So the auto deploy is working as you expect it when you push a new package with the -develop tag?

I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean when you say that “it also allows me to create a release manually for my release channel, even though I have ^Develop as the tag in the channel version rule”, could you send through a screenshot of what you mean as this would assist me in my understanding of the issue?

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

I’m having the same issue. We have two channels, one for release (dev,test,production) the other for deploying to a test machine used for testing branched code.

The release channel works fine, the nuget packages is picked up by Octopus and a release automatically created.

However the second channel has a pre-release build tag of ‘branch’. Our build definition appends -branch to the version number of any builds created using branched code. However when deploying these builds Octopus never creates a release automatically. When I create a manual release for this channel the latest package suffixed by -branch is available for deployment.

So in short is seems if a pre-release tag is specified for a channel the automatic release creation is ignored. Is this expected behavior?

Hi Richard,

What version of Octopus you are running?

Could you have a look in the diagnostic logs (Configuration -> Diagnostics -> Server Logs) and see if there is a message there about why the automatic release was not created? If there’s nothing there, could you send through your Octopus Server log (by default under C:\Octopus\Logs) to support (at) octopus (dot) com (referencing this ticket) and we can have a look and see if we can figure out why your release isn’t being created for pre-release packages.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik