Pre-deployment validation failed, the following machines in the target environment are duplicates

I have updated Octopus from 2.4.x.x to 2.6.4.951 today. After that I can’t deploy anymore. Once I hit “Deploy release button” I keep getting “Pre-deployment validation failed, the following machines in the target environment are duplicates”. I haven’t changed anything about environment or any other settings. The only fact is that I was able to deploy the same release prior update and now I can’t anymore.

Under Environments I have 4 Machines with different Display names and Tentacle URLs. However they are pointing at the same Phisical Machine. I was thinking about possible conflict here, but it never was an issue before the update.

Furthermore there are no warning or errors under Diagnostics.

If you have all 4 machines deploying to the same server then that server will need 4 separate tentacle instances. They will then need to be registered individually.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you share us screenshots of the configuration of your tentacles from the Web UI?

Thanks

Dalmiro

Hi Both,

Thanks for looking at this. I have attached the screenshot. All machines are pointing at the same tentacle on localhost. I always had only one tentacle and “multiple” machines pointing at it and never came across this issue before.

Cheers,
Tadas

Octo2.JPG

Hi Tadas,

Sorry to be the third person to jump in here, what Bob said was correct. In 2.5 a breaking change was added that Tentacles need a unique SQUID to deploy.
http://octopusdeploy.com/downloads/2.5.13 <- it’s in the release notes.
In order to deploy to this machine you need to create multiple instances on the same server so they have their own unique SQUID.

The following documentation page shows how to create multiple instances: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Managing+multiple+instances

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

That would make sense. It was working with 2.4, but not with 2.6.

Thanks!
Tadas

Hi Tadas,

Not a problem! It would have been easy to miss due to skipping 2.5 entirely.

Vanessa

Ok. I have created 4 new Tentacle instances and updated thumbrints and ports for each Machine in Octopus Deploy UI. But I still get the same error. Furthermore if I run “Check Health” I can see all machines are still pointing at the default tentacle SQUID. I got four SQUIDs for my new instances, but I am not sure where to place them.

Hi Tadas,

On the connectivity tab of each machine hit the yellow reset button. This should discover the new SQUID for them.
Let me know how that goes.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Nice trick! The issue is now solved.

Thanks, once again.
Tadas