Powershell version issue when deploying to azure

I’m using the latest version of octopus on my server from today, and i’m creating an azure deployment target like described at :https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/azure/web-app-targets . it seems to deploy the files fine, but my post-deploy scripts are giving a powershell error. Any idea how to fix?

‘These Azure commands are only supported in PowerShell versions 5 and above.
This server is currently running PowerShell version 4.0.
At D:\Octopus\Work\20180527213831-46900-4\staging\Octopus.AzureContext.ps1:26
char:5
throw "These Azure commands are only supported in PowerShell versions 5
and …
CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (These Azure com…ll version
4.0.:String) [], RuntimeException
FullyQualifiedErrorId : These Azure commands are only supported in Power
Shell versions 5 and above. This server is currently running PowerShell version 4.0.’

Hi Phil,

Thanks for getting in touch, and sorry to hear that you are having issues.

When we released the Octopus 2018.5.x series we had to upgrade some of our requirements for the server that your Octopus Server runs on, specifically we now require Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 and PowerShell 5.0. This was required due to the need to move to newer versions of the Azure SDK and Azure Powershell Modules to add support for the latest features (e.g. nested ARM templates).

The error message that you are seeing relates to that upgrade, in that this particular server has Powershell 4 installed, and we now require Powershell 5. If you can install Powershell 5 on this particular server this error should clear.

This is only for your Octopus Server, there are no changes for your Tentacles. I also noticed that while we mention this change on the blog post for this series of releases, we didn’t have it on our change log. I have now updated the change log to note the change.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused,

Regards,
Alex

that got it to work, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.