Powershell to create step on deployment process

We have 37 projects in my solution. If we want to deploy those build, we need to create release on each project in octopus and deploy them to environment.
We planned to automate the Octopus deployment. We can create release and deploy that release using Octo.exe command line. That is fine.
We can add no of steps(adding other project’s as step) to one project’s deployment process and create release of that. Then release at single click, so all steps will be deployed.
Is there a way in powershell or Octo.exe to create step in deployment process tab of project, so that we will create no of steps and then deploy them in a single click.
Please suggest.

Thanks
G.Kandaiya

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! Hopefully I am understanding your scenario here. Once you setup your project in Octopus and define all of the steps and settings, each release will use this, you do not need to redefine any steps. If I have misinterpreted this incorrectly could you explain a bit more about your scenario and why you need to add steps continually to a project.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your reply :). Actually i need to deploy more than 5 projects on every product release to different environment. Currently, once all projects defined in Octopus, we should release or deploy a project by clicking “Create Release” of project which one i want to deploy. And repeat the same step for every project.

We need to automated process, to release or deploy all projects by single click. meaning, All projects or some projects(mentioned for current release) should go by single click or minimum effort of system administrator.

We can add steps to each project at “Deployment Process” tab, where we can any no of other projects by adding more steps and we can say “Create Release” and deploy them by single click.

Is there a way or possibility to add steps through powershell or Octo.exe(command line) to specific project, or any other way to deploy more than one project at a time.

Pls note: No of projects would vary on each product release. That is why asking for adding steps dynamically.

Thanks

G.Kandaiya

Hi G,

There is no way to release multiple projects at once with the click of a button. We do have a very popular UV suggestion about this: http://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/5852439-encapsulate-deployment-of-multiple-projects-into-s Please go and add your votes and comments.

Using octo.exe as you are would be a good way to trigger multiple project deployments. Using octo.exe you can skip steps if you need when deploying using the --skip=stepname option.

While octo.exe will form a part of this for you, the API will be the only way to add steps on the fly without using the UI. You would also be able to build a create release and deploy multiple projects automation system. http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Octopus+REST+API

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for a reply with valuable suggestion. I will try this.

Thanks again.

G.Kandaiya