PowerShell Script Permissions

Hi
I have created a step that runs a PowerShell Script. The script runs on the server fine if run manually, but if i run it as a step in Octopus it errors. Below is the script, and the error. When a step runs a PowerShell script, what user does it run it as?

The script is creating a SQL database from a template one we have stored on the server, and in the script i specify the credentials to use to run the script, which does work when run manually. Is there a way around this?

$password = ConvertTo-SecureString ‘*********’ -AsPlainText -Force

$cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential (‘testadmin’, $password)

#Relocate the Database file

$RelocateData = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.RelocateFile(“DB_training”, “S:\Data\Testing.mdf”)

#Relocate the Log file

$RelocateLog = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.RelocateFile(“DB_training_Log”, “L:\Log\Testing.ldf”)

#Restore the template database

Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance “localserver” -Database “Testing” -SQLCredential $cred -BackupFile “C:\Template\backup_V7_201810011430.bak” -RelocateFile @($RelocateData,$RelocateLog)

Error -Restore-SqlDatabase : System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database ‘master’.

Thanks
Shane

Hi @Swalford!

Your tentacle will execute powershell scripts as the account that the service was configured to run as. You can check/verify this by loading the Services Management console snap-in and seeing which user the OctopusDeploy Tentacle service runs under.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi
Thank you for the response. The service is running as Local System, is this OK, or should this be changed to a different account? The script works if i grant the Local System account dbcreator role in SQL, but im not sure how secure this is.

Is it recommended to change the account Octopus runs as?

Thanks
Shane

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.