Powershell Referring to Variable Dynamically

Hi All,

I am working on a script that will traverse a deployed directory for SQL scripts to run. There will be a sub directory for each database and each of these directories can have multiple .sql files.

Each different DB has a seperate connection string as defined in variables.
DBConnectionString_DB1 = Connection string for DB1
DBconnectionString_DB2 = Connection string for DB2

I am needing to dynamically select the appropriate variable depending on the database. Refer to script below:

Get-ChildItem -Path 'd:\temp\octopus\contents\sql' |

Foreach-Object {

foreach($file in Get-ChildItem $_.FullName)
    {   
         Invoke-Sqlcmd -InputFile $file.FullName -ConnectionString #{DBConnectionString_$file.Directory.Name} 
    }

}

I have been building a powershell script within Octopus step. I am wishing to use a variable to specify the connection script for SQL command. However I have 2 variables:

DBConnectionString_DB1
DBconnectionString_DB2

The DB1 and DB2 should be substibuted for the currente directory. However when referencing the variable how can I dynamaically reference the appropriate variable?

I found a document that suggested the following:
#{DBConnectionString_$file.Directory.Name}

However it does not apear to work… Thoughts?

Thanks,
Damien

Hi Damien,

Thanks for reaching out.

To dynamically set an Octopus variable, the best way would be to define it as a variable, then use that variable.

You could use something similar to the below, but with your if logic added in for selecting the correct Octopus variable:

Code:

$one = "DB1"
$two = "DB2"
$string = $OctopusParameters["DBConnectionString_$($one)"]
$string
$string = $OctopusParameters["DBConnectionString_$($two)"]
$string

Variables:

Output:

Please let me know if that helps or if I misunderstood the question.

Thanks,
Jeremy

1 Like

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, this works perfectly. Thankyou for your help!

Damien

1 Like

Hi Damien,

You’re very welcome, I’m glad to hear it’s working for you. Thanks for letting me know!

I hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.