Post deployment validation of Website pages and navigations

I am using Octopus Deploy for deploying Web application. I want to automate basic post deployment validation of website pages and navigation. I have created NUNIT test cases and used selenium Web driver for validations. But NUNIT tests gets stuck in case of Selenium Test methods. I have tried following approaches -

1. I have done changes required for Octopus deploy - Tentacle Windows service but it didn’t help.
  2. I have gone through couple of youtube videos and online article but those didn’t provide any specific solution.
  3. I have read on the portal that some of the customers are using selenium but Octopus doesn’t support it. If that is the case, what is the mechanism provided by Octopus for validation of website pages and navigation?
  4. This is a major feature that is missing in Octopus currently. Is it planned to be included in future releases?

Expecting quicker response from Octopus Support…

Hi Samir,

Thanks for getting in touch! You are right there is no builtin deployment validation in Octopus. That being said there are a few options that you might want to consider:

• HTTP Invoke URL community step template provides basic test for HTTP endpoints
  • Deployment to an environment and validation tests can be run from your Continuous Integration server. First step would deploy a release and the second step would run your tests.
  • You can write a custom script that executes the tests. A few of our customers suggested possible solutions here.

If you believe this should be a built-in feature in Octopus the please go to an existing User Voice suggestion, vote and comment re how it should work.

Please, let me know how you go.

Regards,

Pawel