Possible to deploy to a deploy a release to a specific machine?

How would one deploy a release to a specific machine? E.g a new developer comes on board and I want to only deploy to that machine.

Also how could override the role/tag relationship between the release definition and the actual servers selected for that release? This would be another way to achieve the first requirement above.

Cheers,

Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

It’s not possible via the UI (feature coming soon) but it can be done via Octo.exe:

Example: only deploy to machines Web01 and Web02:

octo.exe deploy-release ..... --specificmachines Web01,Web02

Hope that helps,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. I think your solution will work, but only if the machine I wish to deploy to already meets the project deployment process step’s ‘Role’ criteria.

When using octo.exe to deploy to a machine tagged with different roles (e.g. a completely ad-hoc deployment), the command line returns an overall deployment success response. Yet when viewing the Octopus Deployment Task Summary for that new release deployment, the step(s) which required/enforced the machine role filtering would show a warning similar to ‘Step x: will be skipped because there are no machines in the environment ‘’ in the following role(s): ‘’

Effectively I cannot override the process step role criteria which is what I would like to be able to do in an adhoc / unplanned deployment.

Regards,

Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

Can’t you just add the machine to the existing role, and then do the deployment?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, we did that temporarily and then removed it from the role afterwards.

Regards,

Heinrich

It’s not possible via the UI (feature coming soon)

That would be awesome for us :slight_smile:

It’s not possible via the UI (feature coming soon)

Hi Paul, can you please be more specific when its planned to be implemented in UI ?

Thanks,
Igal

Hi,

I did the work to enable this on Friday - it will be released this afternoon if all goes well.

Paul

Hi,

I did the work to enable this on Friday - it will be released this afternoon if all goes well.

Paul

Thanks Paul, great news !