Possible bug: Adding a note to a manual intervention step causes release to show "Something has changed since this snapshot was taken" incorrectly

Hi guys,

I think I’ve found a bug.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a Deployment Project - I called it “Deployment process has changed bug reproduction”
  2. Add a Manual Intervention Required step - I called it “Manual Intervention Required”
    2.1 Give it some instructions - I used “Manual intervention without notes”
    2.2 Click Save to save the new step.
  3. Click Create Release then Save
  4. Choose Deploy To… and pick an environment

This is the happy path: The deployments/create/to/ page does not show a warning that the process has changed since the release was created (as expected).

1. Edit the process and add another Manual Intervention Required step - I called it “Manual Intervention Required with notes”
    7.1 Enter some test in the Notes field - I used “This is a note”
    7.2 Give it some instructions - I used “Manual intervention with notes”
    7.3 Click Save to save the new step.
  2. Click Save to save the deployment process
  3. Click Create Release then Save
  4. Choose Deploy To and pick an environment.

Outcome

The deployments/create/to/ page displays the message:

Something has changed since this snapshot was taken.
Deployment Process modified (audit trail): For consistency, this deployment will use a snapshot of the variables and deployment process that was taken when the release was created, which does not include the latest changes that have been made to the project. A changed process can only be incorporated by creating a new release (this one may be renamed if desired).

Expected Outcome

This release has just been created so there are no changes to the deployment process so that message should not be seen.

Product Details

Product: Octopus Server (on premises)
Version: 2020.5.1

Let me know if you need any more details - it took me ages to work out that it was the notes that caused this - I was following Bob Walker’s database deployment process example from Building trust in an automated database deployment process - Octopus Deploy when I came across this issue.

If you remove the note from the second Manual Intervention Required step the new release still shows process changes. I had to delete the Manual Intervention Required step with the note to get rid of that message after creating a new release.

Thanks,
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for the in-depth report on this.
The problem is that the deployment process snapshot that we create isn’t copying the Notes field across, it has a null value, so, the comparison against the live version is always different. Deleting the Notes field after using it sets the value in the live version to "" instead of null causing the problem to persist.

Luckily, we have picked this up a few weeks back and a fix has been added to 2021.1.0.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response and explanation. Glad to hear you’ve already found it and fixed it.

I didn’t see anything on the support forum but didn’t think to search your issue tracker. I’ll try that next time, but there’s a knack to finding bug reports.

Thanks again,
Darryl.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.