Polling Tentacles Don't Respond

I have some polling tentacles running on servers in a public cloud. Occasionally, a deploy starts and they seem to not pick up the job. For the most part, these are just powershell scripts to run.

I found this link that may be related and was wondering if there is a patch available. http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/19302-release-gets-stuck-when-uploading-packages-to-polling-tentacle

From the tentacle server, I can open a browser and see the mx page on the server, so firewalls shouldn’t be an issue. This diagnostics tab show nothing until I try to cancel the job, then I get the following entries:

Unhandled error when processing request from client
System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ExecuteRequest(TcpClient client) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 111
Error 2014-08-12 16:40:24
Unhandled error when processing request from client
System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ExecuteRequest(TcpClient client) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 111
Error 2014-08-12 16:40:27
Invalid request
System.Net.ProtocolViolationException: Request syntax was invalid
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ReadPrelude(Stream clientStream) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 111
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ParseRequest(Stream clientStream, Method& method, Uri& uri, RequestHeaders& headers, String& protocol) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 52
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ApplyProtocol(AuthorizationResult authorizationResult, EndPoint clientEndPoint, String clientThumbprint, Stream clientStream) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 140
Error 2014-08-12 16:40:31
Invalid request
System.Net.ProtocolViolationException: Request syntax was invalid
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ReadPrelude(Stream clientStream) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 111
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ParseRequest(Stream clientStream, Method& method, Uri& uri, RequestHeaders& headers, String& protocol) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 52
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ApplyProtocol(AuthorizationResult authorizationResult, EndPoint clientEndPoint, String clientThumbprint, Stream clientStream) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 140

I have no control of the cloud provider network and the transfer is over the internet. I have seen a lot of file corruption trying to deploy a package or using ftp through Octopus. I am able to compress the file with 7zip and use powershell to ftp the file with no issues so far though.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for getting in touch! Could you please explain to us a bit about the environment and the server.
Such as: are the tentacles behind or use a proxy server or load balancer? How do you gain access, is it via public IP address?
Where is it hosted and what does the network look like?

I know that you have answered a few of these questions, but giving us as many specifics into this situation will help.
Thanks!
Vanessa

The tentacles are not behind a load balancer or proxy that I am aware of. They are hosted in Rackspace, so I’m not sure what the physical network looks like. The logical layout is a cisco asa 5500 series firewall and then my servers. There are load balancers for the web sites, but they are on separate ips and only answer on 80 and 443. I can access all port of the server directly by public ip.

My server is version 2.5.5.318 and tentacles are a mix of 2.5.5.318 and 2.5.7.384.

Hi Pete,

We are really at a bit of a loss.
May I ask why you went the polling tentacle route? If they are available via public IP and port, listening tentacle would be a more ideal solution and may resolve this issue.

Vanessa