Polling Tentacle traffic

Hi,

Hoping you can help on this one, I have had a look around but don’t seem to be able to find a definitive answer.

I have an application that we use Octopus to push to external client servers using the polling tentacle calling home, but have some queries from an IT department on what data is passed between the tentacle and server on a poll cycle (not the actual package push)

How often, I believe this is every 10 seconds, is this configurable to reduce the traffic?
How much bandwidth traffic this consumes on every poll or over 24 hours

They also have asked regarding security, but I think these questions have been answered elsewhere.

Thanks for the help

Hi Barrie,

The Tentacle polls the Octopus server every 5 seconds, this communication is only a few Kb’s in size. Unfortunately, the polling interval is not configurable.

All communication between Tentacles and the Octopus server is done over HTTPS, using TLS1.0 and the self-signed certificates that the Tentacle and server exchanged when being set up.

Hope that helps!

Thank you,
Henrik

We also have a similar question from out IT department, we are using about 100 Web servers. These are configured to go through a Firewall. Due to our setup we can only use Octopus with a Polling configuration.

This is creating a vast amount of log entries within the FW.

I would like to know if there is anything in your roadmap which would allow us to configure polling times.

I think this feature would be well received by other users.

Hi Piped,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We have the following uservoice ticket to make the polling times configurable.

I’d suggest you go and put your votes in for the feature to be implemented and if it gets more popular amongst the community it will make its way on to our roadmap of features to implement.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

I am currently on leave until 21/03/16.

I will reply to you email when I return back to the office.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of The Royal Society of Chemistry. If you have received it in error, you must not copy or show it to anyone; please contact us immediately by replying to this email and highlighting the error. Any advice given by The Royal Society of Chemistry has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and The Royal Society of Chemistry cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not represent those of The Royal Society of Chemistry.
The Royal Society of Chemistry owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss as a result of the use of this email and/or attachments. The Royal Society of Chemistry acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The Royal Society of Chemistry does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, Number 207890, and a company incorporated in England by Royal Charter (Registered No. RC000524) Registered office: Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BA, Telephone: 0207 4378 6556, Facsimile: 0207 4490 3393 (Head Office).