Polling tentacle is not copying package to environment

I’m using Octopus Deploy 2.6.3.886
I have a 201MB package which contains some files that I need transferred to the environment but does not include a deploy.ps1 script. This had been working and I can find the files under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Applications{env}{pkg}{version}. Recently it stopped working, I’m not sure but the problem could have started when I switched from using a listening tentacle to using a polling tentacle.

If I redeploy, skipping all but the one package, and checking “Force deployment of packages that are already installed”, then I get the Deployment complete message in Octopus, but the files are not out there. Not even under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Applications.Tentacle\Packages.

If I redeploy like above but also checking “Re-download packages from the NuGet Server”. I can see the download progress in octopus, as well as the file under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Files. When the download is complete the file under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Files but does not appear under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Applications.Tentacle\Packages nor C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Applications{env}{pkg}{version}.

The tentacle log contains:
2015-03-24 11:58:28.0135 19 INFO Beginning chunked transfer of C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Files\Eos.Ods.8.0.0.0026.nupkg-d8e3fc2e-b2b6-485d-a8aa-5303d703f666

I have another environment where this same package deploys just fine. The environment that fails is using a polling tentacle, the one that works is a listening tentacle.

I changed the problem environment back to using a listening tentacle. This time the upload package step completes, but the Acquire packages does not. The package appears under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Applications.Tentacle\Packages. But the deploy just hangs at that point.

I cancel and retry. This time it finishes the deploy and the package appears under C:\ProgramData\Octopus\Applications{env}{pkg}{version}.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please enable the debug variables as shown on link (1) and then create a new release and send us the raw log (2)?

1. http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Debug+problems+with+Octopus+variables

2. http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

Feel free to mark this question as private if you want to hide any sensitive info from your raw log.

Thanks

Dalmiro

The original tentacle was switched to listening mode. I setup another polling tentacle and deployed to it without problem. This problem was intermittent anyway. Or, this problem could be related to this other one: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/31895-deployment-stops-unexpectedly
Where I discovered that when we upgraded Octopus and moved to a new server the old one wasn’t shut down and was flooding our tentacles with bad requests.
Anyway I have the debug variables set and I’ll let you know if I see this again.

I’m closing this issue. I haven’t seen it since I fixed the issue with 2 octopus servers talking to the same tentacle.