Polling Tentacle is getting the wrong server thumbprint (v2018.3.6)

We have two instances set up on our deployment server and I am having problems deploying to a Polling Tentacle (our only one).

It registers correctly against the correct deployment instance but then fails the connectivity tests and I am unable to deploy it. The logs on the tentacle state that an unexpected thumbprint for the server was supplied. The thumbprint that it is getting is being given is for the other deployment instance on the server.

Hi Mark,

Can you double check the communications port that your Polling Tentacle is using, as I’ve just tested the same scenario and we use 10943 by default (even if the instance you are connecting to does not).

The port in the address of this config key <set key="Tentacle.Communication.TrustedOctopusServers">[{"Thumbprint":"OCTOPUSTHUMBPRINT","CommunicationStyle":2,"Address":"https://OCTOPUSURL:10943","Squid":null,"SubscriptionId":"poll://SOMERANDOMCHARS/"}]</set> in your Tentacle’s config file needs to match the port that is set in this config key <set key="Octopus.Communications.ServicesPort">10944</set> in your Octopus server config file.

I hope that helps.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Thanks, that was the issue. Is the port set when the polling tentacle is created? I don’t remember seeing a filed for the port when creating the tentacle from the setup wizard.

Hey Mark,

Great to hear that you got it sorted!

We don’t actually give you the option to change the port when setting up a Polling Tentacle, we just default to 10943.

I’ve raised this GitHub issue to make this configurable in the setup wizard.

Henrik

Thanks, It did seem to register with the correct instance though so perhaps it should set the port at that point without it having to be specified.

I couldn’t see where the port is mentioned in the Server UI and did have to check in the config.

Hi Mark,

Yes it will register correctly with an Octopus instance as we use the URL of the instance when registering the Tentacle. We might be able to retrieve the server communication port when registering the Tentacle.

Henrik

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.