Please enter a valid SemVer version number, for example '1.3' or '1.19.310.9000'

“SemVer version number”? Propose that the jargon should be changed to something mere mortals can understand. :slight_smile:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting in touch!

SemVer or Semantic Versioning is the versioning scheme Octopus requires for it’s releases, and we’re not quite sure how we can make the message any easier to understand (which is also why we’ve included a couple of examples valid SemVer versions), is it due to that we are using the shorthand SemVer instead of Semantic Versioning that is causing confusion or just the fact that it is quite a technical term all in all?

Perhaps if you could provide an example that would be easier to understand, that would help us to figure out how we could improve on this error message.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

The term is technical and likely not known to many. Two things would improve the situation.

First, spell it out to “Semantic Versioning” as you suggested.

And secondly, provde a link to some details. The explanation at http://semver.org/ is very lengthy, so instead I propose a link to your docs with a short (but complete) description of what “Semantic Versioning” allows, with examples. (The best example I could find is on the project settings page.)

Hi Michael,

I’ve raised #2129 to have this message improved as per your suggestions.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Sounds good, and thanks.