Parent \ Child Projects, Auto Deploy, System User Permission Error

I have a parent project with multiple child projects.

My parent project has a lifecycle that auto deploys to two of three environments.

My child projects only auto deploys to the first environment but has all three.

My child projects have a script step which uses powershell to the REST API. It just creates a release for the parent project but doesn’t deploy it, the auto environment deploying starts OK.

My parent project auto deploys OK if I create a release via the UI or if I run the powershell scipt manually. But I get the following error when the child project (or any other project) creates a release.

The step failed: Activity Deploy-Child-Project-1 on the Octopus Server failed with error ‘You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: DeploymentCreate’.

It shows that the “system” is deploying to the automatic environment but not sure how to resolve. Does anyone know how to?

Hi @charlie.salmon,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

At first glance, it seems as though your API key may be linked to a user that does not have high enough permissions. For testing, perhaps create a new API key from an account in the “Octopus Administrators” team and see if it resolves the permissions issue?

Let me know if that works for you or not.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

What a school boy error! I’m sure I checked that but I forgot to update or save my variable.

You were 100% right.

Thanks,

Charlie

1 Like

Hi @charlie.salmon,

Thank you for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear you were able to get it working.

If we can assist with anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.