Parallel execution of child steps

Hi,

We just started using Octopus Deploy. This is how are our project steps looks like.

1. Install pre-reqs
    • Step 1
    • Step 2
    • Step 3

2. Install Application
    • Install Application1
    • Install Application2
    • Install Application3

3. Run tests
    • Run tests
    • Publish test results

Parent Steps 1,2,3 should run sequentialluy, but, child steps must run in parallel.

Please let us know your suggestions.

Thanks
Sreekanth

Hi @getysc,

Thanks for getting in touch! We have a great documentation section on how to get the most out of Rolling Deployments.

Unfortunately running these scripts in parallel as child steps will not work. Rolling deployments are great for running the same code on multiple separate targets in parallel by increasing the window size. However this does not help you run multiple scripts in parallel on the same target.

If your steps are not child steps you are able to set your steps to trigger at the same time instead of sequentially.

Furthermore, from our documentation:

For safety reasons, by default, Octopus runs only one step at the same time on a single deployment target. If you want to run multiple steps on a deployment target in parallel, you’ll need to enable that behavior.

So by adding the OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex | True variable to your deployment and configuring your steps run triggers you can configure your deployment just the way you want I believe.

Something like this: (No parent/child steps)

1. •	Step 1 
2. •	Step 2 (Start trigger: Run in parallel with previous step)
3. •	Step 3 (Start trigger: Run in parallel with previous step)
4. •	Install Application1 (Start trigger: Wait for previous step to complete then start)
5. •	Install Application2 (Start trigger: Run in parallel with previous step)
6. •	Install Application3 (Start trigger: Run in parallel with previous step)
7. •	Run tests(Start trigger: Wait for previous step to complete then start)
8. •	Publish test results (Start trigger: Run in parallel with previous step)

Let me know if this helps you, or if I have missed anything. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

1 Like