Package content not extracting

I have a package that I’m trying to deploy; it’s a Roundhouse database project, so there’s no binaries in there, just .sql scripts and the Octopus-standard powershell scripts I need to run the deployment (I’m invoking Roundhouse in Deploy.ps1).

On the tentacle machine, I see the package in \Octopus\Tentacle\Packages, and renaming it to .zip shows that the expected content is present. However, under \Octopus\Tentacle\Applications, the folder for my package is empty. The deployment succeeds without doing anything (for obvious reason!).

Is there something I’m missing? I’ve hand-rolled the package file because it’s not a binary deployment, but the package seems valid and I’m not sure what I’ve missed.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting in touch. One trick to creating NuGet packages is that all of the files need to be listed in the manifest. It’s not enough to have the file in the ZIP - it actually has to be listed in the manifest otherwise it won’t be extracted.

My guess is that when the package was manually created you may have added the files to the ZIP manually. Using the NuGet.exe Pack command to create your package should resolve this.

Hope that helps,


Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply! It turns out that you’ve pointed me in the right direction.

However, I’d been working with a single package and tweaking the contents (rather than creating a new package each time). I’d been clearing the Tentacle’s cache of the package each time, but didn’t notice that the Octopus server was caching my package too. When I tried to compare the result of a “Nugetted” package with my “hand-zipped” one I realised that the copy on the Tentacle was of a version 2 hours old. Probably wasn’t helping :slight_smile:

Thanks again!