On the Dashboard, sorting and the "Group" dropdown

What is the intent for the “Group” dropdown on the Dashboard as far as sort order goes? Currently it is pretty random. I wanted to believe it was in the order created, however that doesn’t seem to line up with the way I remember creating them. :slight_smile: Since that probably seems a little light on commitment, I can confirm that the last two groups I know I created are not at the bottom (or top) of the list. It also doesn’t sort alphabetically matching the naturally displayed dashboard order.

This is true it seems on 3.3.26 and 3.4.3. The preference (for me at least) would be for them to be in the same order as what they display on the dashboard. However if not, if I had some idea what the order was I can at least try to guess where I expect to see it in the group.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch! If you are referring to grouping by Tag Sets for multi-tenancy, throughout Octopus, including the Grouped by on the Project Overview, we list your Tag Sets and Tags in the order they are displayed in the Library, where you set them up - hopefully resulting in what-you-see-is-what-you-get. You can also click the Reorder links to change the order of either your Tag Sets or Tags, and the Grouped by should sort itself accordingly.

Here’s an example I whipped up on our demo server:
https://demo.octopus.com/app#/library/tagsets
https://demo.octopus.com/app#/projects/mike-s-tenanted-project?groupBy=Another%20tag%20set

If that’s not the case I’d be really interested to see some screenshots to help describe the problem so we can fix it. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!
Mike

I have been using BlueFin so you made me do a double-take thinking maybe what I was seeing was somehow part of that (even though there was already one for groups of that extension on that page). But nope, it’s there even with the extension turned off. On the overall dashboard, if you go over the project “limit” for display (default of 50), you’ll get a dropdown and a spot where you could type the project.

[cid:image001.png@01D20825.D3938BC0]

It’s the one that by default shows “All Groups” that I’m wondering about. I’m including just a little snippet of the dropdown because I’m guessing once you know where to look you’ll see what I mean (or will have an explanation). :slight_smile: But this is definitely not alphabetical and definitely not in the order of adding them.

[cid:image002.png@01D20825.D3938BC0]

Mike

image001.png

image002.png

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information! Now I see what you are talking about, it’s not BlueFin, it’s a tiny feature we added to the Dashboard where you can personally configure the number of projects you want to show. Taking a look at the code, the Project Group dropdown doesn’t sort at all, it just takes the result from the API and displays them - which should be database order…

I’ve raised this GitHub issue for you to track: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2743

Hope that helps!
Mike