Offline Deployment not executing expected steps

Offline packages are failing to execute steps after the Deploy a Package step when deploying. I am seeing that the steps are being written into what I assume are the correct files but they are never executed on the remote server.

Hi Orville,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this unexpected behavior. I’ve attempted to reproduce this issue, however I haven’t been able to do so in my local instance (running 2019.13.7) so I’d like to dig into this a bit more.

Can you let me know which version of Octopus you’re currently running? We’ve fixed a few bugs around offline drops so maybe it’s possible you’re hitting a known and fixed bug. Perhaps this issue which was fixed in 2018.6.7 where output variables (like the package installation directory) weren’t being passed through to subsequent steps.

Are you seeing any errors on this deployment?

You’ve probably checked this already, but is there a mismatch between the roles assigned to the offline target and the roles these subsequent steps run on?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hello Kenny,

This had been an issue for a long time and I finally found the cause yesterday. We created a step to compress the offline deployment package, we didn’t take into account that steps are added to the package as they’re hit in the pipeline. Root cause is user error, we were compressing the package before the steps in question were added to the package.

Thanks,
Orville

Hi Orville,

That’s great to hear you’ve found what was causing this! Thanks for letting me know, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny