ODBC Driver on Octopus cloud

Hi Octopus

We are using ocotpus cloud to perform our db migrations. However we use Snowflake DB, this requires a specific ODBC driver to be present on the system.

We have a powershell step which downloads and runs an msi, however we get the following error:

Product: SnowflakeODBCDriver64Bit – Installation failed.
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: SnowflakeODBCDriver64Bit. Product Version: 2.16.11. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Snowflake Computing. Installation success or error status: 1625.
Info 1625.This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator.
c:\Octopus\Work\snowflake64_odbc.msi

This is our powershell

$url = "https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/infrastructure-buildfiles-455312320117/snowflake64_odbc-2.16.11.msi"
$output = "C:\Octopus\Work\snowflake64_odbc.msi"
$start_time = Get-Date

$wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
$wc.DownloadFile($url, $output)

Write-Output "Time taken: $((Get-Date).Subtract($start_time).Seconds) second(s)"

$msiParams = @{
    FilePath = 'msiexec.exe'
    ArgumentList = @(
        '/i "c:\Octopus\Work\snowflake64_odbc.msi"'
        '/qn'
        '/log "c:\Octopus\Work\snowflake64_odbc_install_log.txt"'
    )
    Wait = $true
}
Start-Process @msiParams

Any pointers ?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch! It looks like the user attempting to install the MSI on the target is being forbidden due to insufficient permissions to install the MSI. Are you able to install it manually with this same user on the target? The following forum post on Microsoft’s docs may be of help as well. :slight_smile:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64af2d23-e45c-413f-bf1b-5ea7c9d52abd/why-as-an-admin-can-i-not-install-a-msi-package-on-windows-server-2008-r2?forum=winservergen

I hope this helps get you going! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

HI Kenneth

We are attempting to install this driver on the Octopus Cloud server, not a deployment target. Therefore we cannot try and install this manually. We wish to run this step from the Octopus server as Snowflake is a Cloud database service.

We have tried using the /a switch when installing, we get a lot more logs but it still fails install.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for following up, and I’m very sorry about the delay to get back to you. After speaking with my team, unfortunately the news is installing MSIs to the server is prevented by our local security policy we’ve put into place. The only workaround we can think of is to use workers, if it’s possible for you to have a worker sitting locally somewhere.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.