Octupus Service stops few seconds after start

Hi,

I just started evaluating Octopus Deploy for our organization. Last night i installed Octopus Deploy on my laptop which went fine and everything started up as it should.

So today I decided to try and install it on our development server (runs teamcity, a svn server etc). However, after the installation I tried to access the web ui only to be met with an error, stating that the service probably wasn’t running. So I checked, and surely enough, it wasn’t running. So I tried starting it, but after a few seconds it stopped again. So I checked the eventlog, and found that the following error was the cause of the shutdown:

Detailed error info from event-log:

2012-08-08 09:53:00,622 [6] ERROR Octopus [(null)] - Autofac.Core.DependencyResolutionException: An exception was thrown while executing a resolve operation. See the InnerException for details. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:10930
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Raven.Client.Connection.HttpJsonRequest.ReadStringInternal(Func`1 getResponse) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\HttpJsonRequest.cs:line 288
   at Raven.Client.Connection.HttpJsonRequest.ReadResponseString() in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\HttpJsonRequest.cs:line 207
   at Raven.Client.Connection.HttpJsonRequest.ExecuteRequest() in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\HttpJsonRequest.cs:line 151
   at Raven.Client.Connection.ServerClient.DirectPutIndex(String name, String operationUrl, Boolean overwrite, IndexDefinition definition) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\ServerClient.cs:line 710
   at Raven.Client.Connection.ServerClient.<>c__DisplayClass3b.<PutIndex>b__3a(String operationUrl) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\ServerClient.cs:line 687
   at Raven.Client.Connection.ServerClient.TryOperation[T](Func`2 operation, String operationUrl, Boolean avoidThrowing, T& result) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\ServerClient.cs:line 231
   at Raven.Client.Connection.ServerClient.ExecuteWithReplication[T](String method, Func`2 operation) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\ServerClient.cs:line 195
   at Raven.Client.Connection.ServerClient.PutIndex(String name, IndexDefinition definition, Boolean overwrite) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Connection\ServerClient.cs:line 687
   at Raven.Client.Indexes.AbstractIndexCreationTask.Execute(IDatabaseCommands databaseCommands, DocumentConvention documentConvention) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Indexes\AbstractIndexCreationTask.cs:line 121
   at Raven.Client.Indexes.IndexCreation.CreateIndexes(ExportProvider catalogToGetnIndexingTasksFrom, IDatabaseCommands databaseCommands, DocumentConvention conventions) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Indexes\IndexCreation.cs:line 46
   at Raven.Client.Indexes.IndexCreation.CreateIndexes(ExportProvider catalogToGetnIndexingTasksFrom, IDocumentStore documentStore) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Indexes\IndexCreation.cs:line 57
   at Raven.Client.Indexes.IndexCreation.CreateIndexes(Assembly assemblyToScanForIndexingTasks, IDocumentStore documentStore) in c:\Builds\RavenDB-Stable\Raven.Client.Lightweight\Indexes\IndexCreation.cs:line 34
   at Octopus.Core.Persistance.PersistanceModule.<Load>b__1(IComponentContext c) in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Core\Persistance\PersistanceModule.cs:line 42
   at Autofac.Builder.RegistrationBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass1`1.<ForDelegate>b__0(IComponentContext c, IEnumerable`1 p)
   at Autofac.Core.Activators.Delegate.DelegateActivator.ActivateInstance(IComponentContext context, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.InstanceLookup.Activate(IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Lifetime.LifetimeScope.GetOrCreateAndShare(Guid id, Func`1 creator)
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.InstanceLookup.Execute()
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.ResolveOperation.GetOrCreateInstance(ISharingLifetimeScope currentOperationScope, IComponentRegistration registration, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Activators.Reflection.ConstructorParameterBinding.Instantiate()
   at Autofac.Core.Activators.Reflection.ReflectionActivator.ActivateInstance(IComponentContext context, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.InstanceLookup.Activate(IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.InstanceLookup.Execute()
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.ResolveOperation.GetOrCreateInstance(ISharingLifetimeScope currentOperationScope, IComponentRegistration registration, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.ResolveOperation.Execute(IComponentRegistration registration, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace: 
   at Autofac.Core.Resolving.ResolveOperation.Execute(IComponentRegistration registration, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Core.Lifetime.LifetimeScope.ResolveComponent(IComponentRegistration registration, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Features.LazyDependencies.LazyRegistrationSource.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<>c__DisplayClass7.<CreateLazyRegistration>b__4()
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at Autofac.Core.Lifetime.LifetimeScope.ResolveComponent(IComponentRegistration registration, IEnumerable`1 parameters)
   at Autofac.Features.LazyDependencies.LazyRegistrationSource.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<>c__DisplayClass7.<CreateLazyRegistration>b__4()
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()
   at Octopus.Server.Commands.RunCommand.Start() in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Server\Commands\RunCommand.cs:line 55
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.WindowsServiceHost.RunService() in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\WindowsServiceHost.cs:line 48

The most interesting bit is in the first line: “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:10930”

Using netstat I checked that no other applications were bound to port 10930, and made sure that there wasn’t some weird firewall rule. After ruling out these causes I’m not sure what to try next to fix the error. Any suggestions?

Forgot to mention that this is installed on a virtualized (vsphere) Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter.

You can close this thread I found a better thread which is discussing the cause of my problem…

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/444-octopus-server-failed-to-start-after-install

I also have multiple IP addresses on a single adapter, due to IIS and several IIS/tomcat/apache apps on the same server, which seems to cause problems with RavenDB.

Hi Johannes,

Since you are running TeamCity on the same server, my guess is that you have two IP addresses, one for TeamCity and the other for IIS so they can both use port 80. Chances are that 127.0.0.1 isn’t mapped to the right network interface.

There’s a workaround at the bottom of this page:

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/444-octopus-server-failed-to-start-after-install

(I’ll stop typing now because I see you just found the thread :))

Paul

Thanks for the update Johannes, I’ll close the thread but let me know if the registry change doesn’t help to fix your problem.

Paul