OctopusPackageConfiguration in OctoPack 3.0

Can I package the debug assemblies instead of the release one using Octopack 3.0. I thought this parameter OctopusPackageConfiguration would do the job, but the build still only generate the release ones.

This is my MSBuild Command:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe” “%WORKSPACE%\Web.Api.sln” /t:Build /p:Configuration=Debug /p:OctopusPackageConfiguration=Debug /p:RunOctoPack=true

Thanks,
David.

Hi David,

Thanks for getting in touch! OctoPack should simply take the output of the build and package it up for you, with some additional smarts to gather and package additional content files. All you should need to do (in the vast majority of cases) is something like this: msbuild.exe Web.Api.sln /t:Build /p:Configuration=Debug /p:RunOctoPack=true

Can you check a few things for me?

• Are your projects building into a shared/common output folder?
  • Check the project(s) are configured to build the debug version of the assemblies, and symbols files (*.pdb) when Configuration=Debug
  • Do a full clean of your project output paths making sure the bin and obj folders are empty
  • Run msbuild.exe Web.Api.sln /t:Build /p:Configuration=Debug and make sure the output in the project’s output folder (usually bin) looks as you’d expect with the assemblies and symbols files.
  • Now run the same, but with OctoPack: msbuild.exe Web.Api.sln /t:Build /p:Configuration=Debug /p:RunOctoPack=true

If this is still not working as you’d hoped, please run this command which will log the output to an msbuild.log file in the current directory: msbuild.exe Web.Api.sln /t:Build /p:Configuration=Debug /p:RunOctoPack=true /fl

This may help you diagnose the issue. If you would like more help, please attach the msbuild.log file to this thread.

Note: When attaching the log file you may want to mark this thread as Private (using the Make Private button) for your privacy.

Hope that helps!
Mike