OctopusDeploy Capability comparing with competitor tool

Hi,

We started with a simple webpage deployment into IIS. After the demo there is a bunch of questions put forward to us.
may be we will have to explore more.

Note that the team has seen some of the functionality with IBM UrbanCode so they did a neck to neck comparison. Some of the questions are as below if you could direct me to the right page that would be great.

Does it has its on Code Station (DB)
Does it has Version Control for the deployables?
How do we do Roll back?
How the lifecycle and environments are linked together?
How the variables used to deploy difference configuration using single file?

Hi Anoop,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I’ll try to answer each point below:

Does it has its on Code Station (DB)

No. Octopus 3.* uses a Microsoft SQL Server database for its data model (all your projects, environments etc). I’m not familiar with IBM Code Station, but from what I could see from a quick Google search, Code Station seems to help store artifacts? Artifacts in Octopus provide a convenient way to collect files from remote machines, and copy them to the Octopus server, where they can then be viewed from the web interface. Octopus is API-first, so anything you can do via the web-interface you can do via the REST API (this link includes documentation and samples to help get you started).

Does it has Version Control for the deployables?

By “deployables”, do you mean the packages that you deploy? Octopus includes a build-in package repository that you may use for your packages, or you may include other package repositories. You can read about this in our Package repositories documentation. You may also be interested in Retention Policies that allow you to define what is kept in terms of releases, packages and files.

How do we do Roll back?

We have a blog post written several years ago that is still relevant today. The short answer is that Octopus makes it easy to deploy the previously successful release, that is how you roll back.

How the lifecycle and environments are linked together?

The Lifecycles documentation should help you here. You can see the “Lifecycle Phases” section for linking environments to lifecycles.

How the variables used to deploy difference configuration using single file?

I’m not too sure what you’re asking here, sorry. But you can read about how Octopus makes it easy to support different configuration based on environments etc. using Variables. For example, you can store you database connection strings in Octopus variables (per environment), then Octopus will substitute these in your web.config file automatically during deployment. This may be a good example for you to start with.

Our support page is also useful for getting started, watching tutorial videos and seeing the forums.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the guidance. Let me go through each of these topic and will get back, in case of more clarification.

Regards
Anoop