Octopus Variables : How to obtain Redeployment Release Number During Redeployment

Hi ,

For example : if I release a package with the following release number : 1.2 when I redeploy it the release number changes to 1.2_1. But when I access the release number using the command ’ $build = $OctopusParameters[“Octopus.Release.Number”]’ in a power shell script i get back 1.2 instead of 1.2_1 while redeploying.

How can I obtain the redeployment release number value?

Am I using the wrong octopus system variable ?

Please Advise!

Hi @amushtaq,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

I’m not certain that we have a way to access what you are looking for as an Octopus variable. Could you elaborate on your particular scenario and why this value is necessary in your deployment?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Donny

Hi @donny.bell
We are needing to use the path of the new deployment with external scripts.

Many Thanks

Hi @amushtaq,

Thank you for getting back to me.

In this case, I would recommend using a custom installation directory:

This way you can specify exactly where you need the deployed files when calling them from an external script.

Let me know your thoughts on whether this would work for your use case.

Regards,
Donny

Hi @donny.bell

Thank you for the quick response yesterday, what you recommended works. But it will mean We will have to refactor all our projects.

Another question : How comes when I print octopus system variables below , I get a blank value?!

Octopus.Tentacle.PreviousInstallation.OriginalInstalledPath
Octopus.Tentacle.CurrentDeployment.PackageFilePath

Thanks,

Your help is much appreciated !

Hi @amushtaq,

It looks like the variables related to package deployment are all blank. Is there a package being deployed for this particular deployment task? If so, can you share a copy of your raw task log and process JSON for this project?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Donny

Hi @donny.bell

I have attached the raw task log but I am unable to download process json . But there is a package being deployed as part of this pipeline

Raw Task log.txt (34.9 KB)

Thank you ,
looking forward to hearing from you

Hi @amushtaq,

Thank you for the quick response.

The variables related to a package deployment that need to be referenced in a future step will need to be set as an output variable. See example here:

More info here:

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Donny

Hi @amushtaq,

I have been unsuccessful in replicating this behavior in my test environment. You mentioned “I am unable to download process json”. Are you saying that the “Download as JSON” button isn’t working for you? If that is the case, try right-clicking Download as JSON and open it in a new tab. It should bring up the full JSON in your browser that you can copy/paste into a .txt document.

Let me know if that works or if I assumed incorrectly.

Regards,
Donny

Hi @amushtaq,

It sounds like there may be some confusion regarding the behavior of the release folders that get created under Octopus.Action[STEPNAME].Output.Octopus.Action.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath vs Octopus.Tentacle.CurrentDeployment.PackageFilePath.

• Octopus.Action[STEPNAME].Output.Octopus.Action.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath is where the package is extracted to after variable replacement, transformations, etc.

• Octopus.Tentacle.CurrentDeployment.PackageFilePath is where the package is deposited on the tentacle BEFORE the contents are extracted.

When deploying the same version package, it isn’t necessary to iterate and create duplicates. However, changes can be made in the project such as new/different variables, transforms, and additional settings that may cause the output from the extracted package to change from one deployment release to the next. This is why you’ll see the extracted output iterate 1.0 -> 1.0_1 -> 1.0_2 and so on.

I hope this clears things up. If I have assumed incorrectly, feel free to provide additional details for further clarification and we’ll continue to work toward a resolution.

Have a good weekend!

Regards,
Donny

Hi @donny.bell

Thank you for the clarification , that works well for us, appreciate your help.
Have a great day ahead!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.