I’m seeing what i believe to be the incorrect behavior when determining what variable to be applied for a particular environment.
To help understand my issue I will detail what i have setup first.
I have a variable set with the following variables
Username = User1, Environment = Test
Username = User2, Environment = Test, Role = RoleA
My step in Octopus is to install a windows service. The Environment is it targeting is Test and the role is RoleB. So I would expect the username applied to be User1, however I am having User2 being applied.
To test further, i then set a project level variable of Username = User1, Environment = Test, however this still ended up as User2.
Just to confirm, when i changed anything regarding variables I updated the variables in the release. I also tried creating a new release.
The only workaround ive got a the moment is to create a project variable of Username = User1, Environment = Test, Role = RoleB.
I feel having a variable applied when its targeting the wrong role is bug, hence raising this. My version of Octopus is 3.12.4
Please let me know if you need further information.