Octopus Variable Issue

Hi

We have an issue sometimes where a variable doesn’t come through in the release, the variable exists (in a variable group) and it should be there. To get round the issue, we duplicated the variable and recreated the release. Anyone else have the issue?

In additional to this, it would appear that out of the 100s of variables we have, we’re are missing quite a few (so far 20 random variables from new releases)

Hi Dane,

Thanks for getting in touch! I think to find any bugs here we are going to need to see some examples to try to replicate the issue.
The information I would need at a minimum is:

1. A screenshot of your variables page showing the whole row including scope with the specific variables highlighted that aren’t coming through
  2. screenshot of where this variable is being used
  3. a full deployment log of the deployment where the variable/s did not come through http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task
  4. A screenshot of the variable snapshot for the release that did not have the variables come through

And when you say random, do the variables not resolving change with each new release created? Is it for specific environments or only some environments?

Please feel free to mark this thread private or mask any sensitive data.

Thanks!
Vanessa

We’re having a problem that sounds similar. It started after we upgraded to version 2.5.10 of the Octopus server. I reviewed all the variables that are missing from the releases, and it appears that any variables that are scoped to a role instead of an environment are missing.

UPDATE: I did a test to see if any of the other scope types (machine, step) had the same problem. All of our variables come from a shared library variable set instead of in the project itself, so I added a few test variables and saved the variable set. I then recreated the project release, and all the new test variables as well as all of the old variables that had been missing are now showing up. It looks like something got out of sync during the 2.5.10 upgrade, but saving a new version of the library variable set cleared it up.

Hopefully this workaround will help if anyone else runs into this same problem.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the investigation and information for people who have this issue.
I’ve created a ticket to investigate and fix this which you can track here https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1276
I’m glad there is a workaround until it’s sorted out.

Vanessa

We experienced a similar issue with variables across 2 different variable sets although we have not made any updates to the software recently. We have been running 2.5.8.447. We were able to finally get the project to return a value for the variables by editing the variable sets even though the end result was the same configuration.
I made a change in the scope of the variables, saved it, reverted the change back to the original configuration and saved it. Then when I ran our deployment it now picked up the variables even though the final configuration was exactly the same.

This is concerning and I’m not sure what to do to trust the variables will exist other than to create a 1st step that checks every variable I use in the project to make sure it is not null.

Is this a known issue where this happens outside of an upgrade?

Thanks,
Luke

Hi All,

We had an issue where a stale index could cause an incorrect snapshot of variables, that would magically fix itself by the next release.
Here is the issue: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1484
The fix was released in 2.6.3

Vanessa