Octopus UI hangs when creating a release

Hi Paul,

When creating a release then after clicking the ‘Create Release’ button at the bottom of the ‘Create Release’ page results in the browser spinning and waiting for the Octopus servere.

Closing the browser page and re-opening persists the spin.

Shutting the browser down completely and re-opening gets a successful response back from the Octopus server.

I’ve not spotted anything in the event logs that releates.

Regards Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Does the project have a lot of steps/variables? Does the same thing happen when you create a release for a new project? Trying to work out if it is a load issue.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Number of different projects couple of examples I’m aware of have 12 and 23 steps with 5 and 7 variables respectively.

I’ll test with a smaller number of packages as well as a new project and see if that impacts

Bruce Keen
15below ltd : 15below Australia pty ltd

E: bruce.keen@15below.com
@15below_travel

Hi Bruce,

Roughly how many releases have you created for those projects?

When creating a release, I load all of the previous releases into memory so I can check whether the version number has been used before. Thinking about it now, that’s a pretty silly thing to do. The issue might be to do with the number of previous releases * the size of the documents (big because of so many steps). The second time around RavenDB has probably cached the query result.

Paul

Actually I just double-checked, and that’s not true - I do a single query to ask if there’s a release for the project with that version number already, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve got a PowerShell script running anyway to create a few thousand releases of a project with 24 steps and 30 variables to see if I can reproduce.

Paul

Hi Paul,

To be helpful, it also seems to be intermittent

Bruce

Bruce Keen

@15below_travel

Ah, the best kind of bugs :slight_smile:

Does it happen 50% of the time, or less?

How large is your C:\Octopus\Data folder?

I just created (and deployed) 1500 releases of a project via octo.exe with 23 steps and 30 variables, and my database is about 150mb on disk. Octopus.Server.exe is using 207mb of memory (it’s still running some deployments).

Paul

Hi Paul,

Data folder is 8.64Gb broken down as
Backups 0b
IndexDefinitions 10Kb
Indexes 76.2Kb
Logs 80Mb
PackageCache 8.54Gb (we’ve got some large packages, biggest is 205Mb)
System 8Kb
Temp 1Mb

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Keen

@15below_travel

Thanks Bruce,

Can you tell me a bit about the hardware spec and resource usage? For example, how much memory is the Octopus.Server.exe using, and are other things running on the machine that could be consuming I/O or CPU? I suspect it’s relating to queries waiting for RavenDB indexes to be up to date but it’s hard to prove that’s the issue until it can be reproduced.

Paul

Hi Paul,

It’s a VM dedicated to Octopus. The only other thing running on the box is AntiVirus.

I’ve just posted a request to exclude the Octopus data folder from access scanning.

Bruce

Bruce Keen

@15below_travel

Hi Paul,

I think this is related to the performance of our NuGet feeds

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Keen

@15below_travel

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17 July 2012 15:42
To: Paul Stovell
Subject: RE: Octopus UI hangs when creating a release [Problems]

Hi Paul,

It’s a VM dedicated to Octopus. The only other thing running on the box is AntiVirus.

I’ve just posted a request to exclude the Octopus data folder from access scanning.

Bruce

Bruce Keen

@15below_travel

untitled (3 KB)