Octopus Tentacles randomly stop. Is there a built in way to start them?

Over the last 6 months, we’ve been running problems where the tentacle service on some machines stops running. Looking at the logs doesn’t show any issues, so I’m not sure why it’s fairly. I will continue to look into it, but I need to way to mitigate the problem right now. Starting the Octopus Tentacle service always fixes the issue.

Is there some way to have the Octopus Service run a script when a machine fails a health check? I can easily write a script to make sure that the service is running, but there isn’t an obvious place to drive the script. What would be perfect is a way to get a list of the failing servers, and then run a script on either the list or each server. A health check failure action if you will.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Erick

Is it possible that you could set the recovery of the service.
FirstFailure, SecondFailure, Subsequentfailes etc to Restart the Service.

Hi Erick,

Thanks for getting in touch. We have a watchdog command that creates a Windows Scheduled Task that you can make use of to help in this scenario. We’ve put together a step by step walk through for setting up watchdog: https://octopus.com/docs/administration/service-watchdog

We usually suggest watchdog for scenarios relating to machine reboot, but it sounds the issue you’re experiencing could also benefit.

Let us know if you still have issues and we can investigate further.

Regards,
Nick

Thanks Nick, that looks like exactly what we need!

We also suspect it’s related to Windows Update, as it seems to happen most often on Wednesday.

Thanks,
Erick