Octopus Server v2018.7.0: Deploy release to specific targets - I cannot select machines

Hi,

I’m trying to deploy a release to 1 machine out of 7 using the feature: “Deployment Targets” -> “Include / Exclude specific deployment targets.” -> Option “Include specific deployment targets”. In the selection list I don’t see the machines in my enviroment so I cannot customize my deployment. I typed the prefix of the machines, no change, the list of machines remain empty.

I have elevated rights (admin). The tentacles are all up-to-date and I see them in the target environment.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I can provide screenshots when necessary.

Best regards,
Florin Labou

Hi Florin,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry you’re hitting this unexpected behavior. I’m unable to reproduce this unfortunately, so I would like some screenshots after checking a couple of things if you wouldn’t mind. :slight_smile:

Do all of the targets you’re expecting to see in the Include specific deployment targets dropdown show in the Deployment steps preview? Any of the machines shown here should be included in this section, similar to the screenshot below.

If the machine isn’t showing in the preview, could you confirm if the role the step(s) is scoped to has been given to the correct machines?

If this all checks out, could you send a screenshot of the machines in the target environment showing the roles applied to each machine within, and a screenshot of your whole deployment process?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for your reaction.
I don’t see the machines in the preview due to the following possible reason: my project is a bundle of other projects releases, every step been based on the “Deploy a Release” step template. In this case the underlying projects should be scoped correctly and refer to proper target roles and that’s my case.

Bundle Project Process - Deploying projects A, B and E:

Target Environment (Acceptance):

Bundle Project Release - Deployment steps preview - not showing target machines:

Sampling on project B:
Project-B process showing scoped steps for the role web-server:

Project-B Deploy Release targeting same environment shows machines scoped for the role web-server:

I hope this will help.

Best regards,
Florin Labou

Hi Florin,

Thanks for following up with all of that great information. This is actually the intended behavior, and the reason behind is the Deploy a Release step is run on the Octopus Server. Meaning it doesn’t have the concept of roles, and doesn’t run on deployment targets. It triggers the deployment of releases of other projects on Server, and the “child” projects are run on the targets as defined by the roles their steps are scoped to.

To deploy your child projects on a subset of machines, they would need to be deployed separately using the Include specific deployment targets feature. You could also reconfigure the roles these steps are scoped to to limit which machines it’s deployed to. This second option would then mean that only the 1 machine out of 7 would be deployed to regardless of how you deploy it, however.

I’m sorry it’s not the news you were hoping for! I hope this helps in any way, and please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for your feedback.

Luckily I realized that I could disable temporary the machines I want to skip, otherwise it would be a lot of work to reconfigure temporarily all the projects that I have in several bundles.

I have to accept that the software cannot satisfy everyone in every little detail. :slight_smile:
Overall, I’m really satisfied with the way support was provided by you and your colleagues! Please feel free to close this ticket. Thank you for your patience!

Best regards,
Florin Labou

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.