Octopus server upgrade - from 2018 to 2020

Hello,

We’re planning an upgrade from 2018.1.5 to latest 2020.2

Since its major version upgrade just wanted to clarify - can it be done as just one step (just download and execute latest build) or should we plan it as several steps, gradual updates (to 2019 first?).

Will appreciate if you can share any other recommendations /best practices about such upgrades.

Hi @Igal_Shkolnik,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The upgrade can be done in a single step however it would definitely be with taking some extra time to ensure nothing unexpected crops up.

Firstly, I would recommend having a read through the version comparison to understand the various breaking changes that have been made. A couple major ones are that we have increased the minimum OS and SQL server versions to 2018+ and 2017+ respectively.

The second thing would be to read through our upgrade guide and confirm that you have backups of the database and master key. It would also be with downloading the installer for you current version, because during the upgrade if there are any problems you will typically need to run that to roll back and restore functionality.

Lastly, this one depends on how easy it would be to accomplish, but you could consider cloning your current server and database and performing a test upgrade without worrying about impacting your live environment.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks a lot Paul, that’s very helpful

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.