Octopus server to Jfrog Artifactory connectivity

Hi Team,

I am Prabhjot, working on Octopus Deploy. I have added Jfrog Artifactory in the External feed. I would like to know how the internal connectivity works.

For example: If we need to do deployment on a VM, we will install listening Tentacle on the VM and then in process step will pull the package from Jfrog and do deployment.

Here my 2 questions are:

1. The package pulled from Jfrog will be stored locally in octopus filestore?
  2. Octopus server will tell the tentacle on the VM to pull the package from Jfrog or Octopus server itself will pull package from Jfrog and deploy on VM.

Thanks,
Prabhjot

Hi @prabhjotkour.91,

Thanks for reaching out to Octopus Support! I’d happily answer your questions regarding transferring packages from your Jfrog feed.

When deploying a package from an external feed, you have two options to choose from in your deployment process step. By default, the Octopus server will download the package and then transfer it to the Tentacle. The second option is to have your deployment target download the package directly from the feed.

In either case, a copy of the package will be stored in the package cache directory on the Tentacle machine for future use. The number of package versions stored in the cache will depend on the retention policy set in your Lifecycle.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. So if I want tentacle to do package download and deploy then tentacle and Jfrog should have network connectivity open, right?

Thanks,
Prabhjot

Hey @prabhjotkour.91,

Just jumping in for Dan who is currently offline as part of our US Based team, great question on connectivity.

You are correct, if you want to use the option to download the package directly onto the execution target that target would need to reach out to Jfrog to download that package so your tentacle machine would need network access to Jfrog.

I hope that helps, reach out if you need any further information as we are happy to help,

Kind Regards,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.