Octopus Server times out when queueing any task

I have an octopus deploy server on a build machine that communicates with different tentacles. The octo server has worked perfectly until last Friday when tasks would just queue up and then time out. I checked to see that there weren’t any outstanding tasks that were running, and there weren’t. When I look in the Event Viewer, I see this error:

2014-09-05 17:32:15,779 [7] ERROR Octopus [(null)] - Unhandled error on web server: Unable to connect to the remote server
System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it _____:10930
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean co2014-09-05 17:32:15,779 [7] ERROR Octopus [(null)] - Unhandled error on web server: Unable to connect to the remote server
System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it _____:10930
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
nnectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)

I have 1.6.3.1723 installed. It looks like outbound port 10930 is established. Do you have any ideas what else this could mean? Or next steps that I should look at? Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! The first step we suggest is restarting the Tentacle.
Please let me know if that resolves the issue. If not we can try a few further troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the response. I just tried restarting the tentacle and that worked, but when I try to go to http://myoctoserver:10933/ in a web browser, it said that the page could not be displayed. Does that mean that the octo server is refusing connections (and that rules out the problem with the tentacle)?

Thanks!
Sachi

Hi Sachi,

To connect to your Octopus Server you would need to connect to whatever browser URL that it is setup for. Octopus generally is setup under a port 80 binding, so I would not expect that URL to work. The port 10933 is used for Octopus connection to the Tentacle, but not in reverse. If the restart worked i could say that there aren’t any overall connection issues, but that the Tentacle had issues with its service or something else and just needed a quick restart to get it back in working order.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

You’re totally right, my apologies. Turned out that this was a problem with Symantec blocking the port for the Octopus Server. Had to restart the Octopus service for the port to reopen. Thanks for your help, Vanessa! Issue resolved. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Sachi