Octopus Server / Tentacle connection issue

First let me say, I am evaluating the software and find it to be stellar.

However in the first attempt of a production like installation. I am having issues getting everything configured. I have an octopus server on an Amazon Ec2 with a static ip. In a private subnet, I have a Tentacle server. From rdp on the octopus server i can browse to https://tentacle-ip:10933 and see the success page. so all the firewalls seem to be good. however from the discover machine page on the octopus portal all i get is the following error
A response was not received within 00:00:30
any ideas on what could cause this?

also is there a setting for making the octopus server run over https?

so now it gets weird.

it just connected. And then i did a health check and it is reporting a failure

The remote machine could not be reached.
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 10.0.10.45:10933
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.Connect(String hostname, Int32 port)
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Client.SecureTcpClient.Send(SecureTcpRequest request) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Client\SecureTcpClient.cs:line 39
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.MessageExchange.Client.ClientWorker.PerformExchange() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\MessageExchange\Client\ClientWorker.cs:line 298
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.MessageExchange.Client.ClientWorker.Run() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\MessageExchange\Client\ClientWorker.cs:line 173

Any ideas?

Hi Bill,

Thanks for trying Octopus. After the health check fails, can you still browse to the Tentacle on that IP/port in your browser?

If you go to the Environments tab and then click the machine, there’s a Connectivity sub tab. What does that show?

The first connection from Octopus does cause the Tentacle process to restart, but after a minute or so it should be back up and stable.

Paul

I’m suspecting that the “add machine to environment” page require access from browser to the tentacle on the port 10933, which is weird. I’m getting the “A response was not received within 00:00:30” error when I’m trying to add a machine firewalled in a firewalled environment from my local machine, but I have no problem adding the same machine if I browse from the Octopus Server box. This seems weird.