Octopus.Server.exe processor usage

After upgrading to the latest packages (Octopus.0.9.511.2528), the Octopus.Server.exe process on the main octopus server seems to be having problems.

When a new deployment is created, the server process begins using all available processor usage and never picks up the deployment. It just sits saying “Queued”. If I restart the octopus server service, it picks up the deployment right away and deploys it.

It seems as if when attempting to start a deployment something is caught in an endless loop.

Seen this before? Is there any logs on the server I can provide to narrow down the problem?

Hi Sean,

That is new and obviously isn’t good. I’ll look into it tonight and try to get a fix out

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 23/11/2011 13:50
To: Paul Stovell
Subject: Octopus.Server.exe processor usage [Problems]

Hi Sean,

Sadly I haven’t been able to reproduce this tonight, and none of the code in the related areas has been touched in the last release. Can I get you to try the following:

1. Stop the Octopus service, and start it up interactively (just double-click Octopus.Server.exe with an account that has permissions to access the database)
  2. Queue the deployment
  3. See how far it gets - it should start with ‘Executing task: xyz’
  4. If that never happens, restart the process, and this time go to the environments page and click ‘Check health’ - this will start a different task but it goes through the same pipeline
  5. Check the event log on the Octopus server
  6. If possible, use the SQL Profiler on the Octopus database to see what queries the Octopus.Server is executing against it - it should be an ‘update Octopus.Task…’ query

Can you also let me know whether the SQL Server instance is on the same machine as the Octopus.Server, and which version/edition of SQL Server you are using?

Paul

I tried to duplicate the issue again and it seems to have resolved itself. I’ll keep an eye on the interactive window and if it happens again I will follow up with more information in the areas you described below.

Thanks Paul!

Sean