Octopus.Server.exe export-certificate

Hi everyone. Thank you for confirming. Since we have 600+ polling tentacles manual reinstall and configuration is not an option for us.

Looks like we might need to put the project on hold for now. Is there any timeframe in regards to a better solution?

Kind regards
Kasper

Hey @kbl_sg,

The engineers and one of our AUS support staff were looking into this last night and it seems they have not found a valid workaround for mass updating polling tentacles.

They did mention they are bringing up this issue we have open which relates to how we tackle the tentacle certificate rotation with regards to trusting a new Octopus Server certificate in their engineering meeting so talks are ongoing. The engineer has posted a comment on that issue, I imagine they will be running more tests tonight so we will keep you updated on any progress.

I have mentioned the fact you have over 600 polling tentacles, that is definitely too many to manually update or re-install so hopefully we can get something sorted in that area.

I cannot really offer a timeframe for this, if we can get a valid workaround I will let you know but it looks like this may end up being a project for us to get something in place to bulk trust Octopus Server certs for tentacles.

Kind regards,
Clare

Hi @kbl_sg,

Just stepping in with an update, the engineers are looking into a script solution for rotating the Octopus Server certificate for Polling Tentacles and would like to confirm a few things about your environment.

• Are these Tentacles all the same OS type or is there a mixture of Linux and Windows?
  • Are the Tentacles Deployment Targets or Workers or both?
  • Is the Tentacle Service able to write to itā€™s own configuration file and restart itā€™s own service? E.g. Admin permissions.

Feel free to reach out with any questions of your own, looking forward to getting a solution for this!

Best Regards,

Hi.

• All tentacles are windows tentacles
  • Only deployment targets. No workers in play.
  • Yes

Hey @kbl_sg,

Thanks for getting back to us with the answers to the engineers questions, I just passed those along so hopefully they can start scripting a workaround for you tonight when they come online, as always we will keep you updated with any news.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Any update on this?

Hi @kbl_sg,

We have an initial prototype working however we are just ironing out edge cases and making sure weā€™re confident with it before releasing it.

Just another couple of questions regarding your environment:

• Have the Tentacleā€™s been configured with the default name ā€˜Tentacleā€™ or a custom name?
  • Are there multiple Tentacle services on the same instance?
  • Has the Tentacleā€™s homedir been modified via the configure cli command?

Essentially those questions effect where the Tentacle config file resides which ideally the script would cover all situations, however weā€™ll tailor the initial version to work for your setup to get you unblocked, which hopefully shouldnā€™t be much longer depending on the complexity.

Let me know if you have any questions at all!

Best Regards,

With the exception of 3 tentacles all 600 tentacles have been configured as a single instance with the default name and homedir.

The 3 non-default tentacles can be handled manually.

Hi @kbl_sg,

Thanks for confirming that and youā€™re patience while we get the script/s ready!

I have finished testing and am confident with the process, however I still recommend configuring a test instance to trial everything before actioning it in a production environment. Backups of the config files are created however once the certificate is rotated in the Octopus Server they will no longer work.

I have attached 4 scripts to run through the script console, the 1st will create a certificate and can be skipped if you already have a certificate to use.

The 2nd script will add the specified certificate thumbprint to the config file and restart the tentacle. The task will fail due to the service restarting but since it only restarts after modifying the config file it will have succeeded. I would suggest running a health-check afterwards to confirm if there are any issues before proceeding to the next step.

The 3rd script will perform the certificate rotation on the Octopus Server and will stop the Octopus Service taking the Server offline. This will cause downtime and cannot be reverted unless you complete the same process with the previous certificate, I suggest only running this step when you are confident that the config files are using both thumbprints. The server will not start again after shutting down and will need to be manually started once it goes offline.

Finally the 4th script removes the old thumbprint and restarts the Tentacle again. Completing another health check should be successful and use the new thumbprint!

To summarise the steps required:

1. (Optional) Script Console task running on Server - Create Certificate
    • Get cert thumbprint for variable in next step
  2. Script Console task on Targets in Environment - Imports Thumbprint Into Tentacle Config
    • Add thumbprint value to variable certThumbprint
    • Complete HealthChecks and check config file looks ok
  3. Script Console task running on Server - Rotates The Certificates and Restarts OctopusServer
    • Need to start the Octopus Server service manually afterwards
  4. Script Console task on Targets in Environment - Removes Old Thumbprint from Tentacle Config
    • Complete health-checks and confirm thumbprint used

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or I can help with any part of the process at all!

1-create-new-cert-output-var.ps1 (722 Bytes)
2-import-thumbprint-tentacle-config.ps1 (1.9 KB)
3-rotate-server-certificate.ps1 (673 Bytes)
4-remove-old-certificate-tentacle-config.ps1 (1.1 KB)

Best Regards,

Hi @finnian.dempsey

I have run the 2nd script on a test tentacle. Health check and config file looks OK. The client logs the following exception which I assume I can ignore?

2023-02-24 10:14:49.9170 5132 8 ERROR https://[OCTOPUS_SERVER_URL]/ 8 Halibut client exception: An error occurred when sending a request to ā€˜https://[OCTOPUS_SERVER_URL]/ā€™, after the request began: The server at https://[OCTOPUS_SERVER_URL]/ presented an unexpected security certificate. We expected the server to present a certificate with the thumbprint ā€˜[NEW_CERT]ā€™. Instead, it presented a certificate with a thumbprint of ā€˜OLD_CERTā€™ and subject ā€˜CN=Octopus Portalā€™. This usually happens when the client has been configured to expect the server to have the wrong certificate, or when the certificate on the server has been regenerated and the client has not been updated. It may also happen if someone is performing a man-in-the-middle attack on the remote machine, or if a proxy server is intercepting requests. Please check the certificate used on the server, and verify that the client has been configured correctly. Retrying in 120,0 seconds

Hi @kbl_sg

Iā€™m just stepping in for Finnian while heā€™s offline.

That exception will appear until the 3rd script in the list of scripts that Finnian sent over is run, so you can ignore that on the 2nd script run.

Let us know how the rest of the scripts go!
Kind Regards
Sean

Hi @kbl_sg,

Just confirming what @sean.stanway mentioned. In my testing my health checks still used the previous certificate however it looks like itā€™s picking up the new one for you. Iā€™d be curious if this occurred on every tentacle or just occasionally. It should be fine to proceed to step 3 as long as the config file contains the new certificate and looks ok!

Looking forward to hearing how you got on!

Best Regards,

Hi @finnian.dempsey. Just tried running step 3. She script completes without errors, but login to the octopus portal hangs after restart of the service (Checking your credentials. Please waitā€¦). Everything is fine when I roll back to the old cert.

The server logs the following exception:

2023-02-27 22:39:39.4247 7164 23 WARN An exception was thrown while trying to establish a principal for the current request
System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
at System.Threading.CancellationToken.ThrowOperationCanceledException()
at System.Linq.AsyncIteratorBase1.GetAsyncEnumerator(CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /_/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/AsyncIterator.cs:line 33 at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredCancelableAsyncEnumerable1.GetAsyncEnumerator()
at System.Threading.Tasks.AsyncEnumerableExt.GetConfiguredAsyncEnumerator[T](IAsyncEnumerable1 enumerable, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean continueOnCapturedContext) in /_/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Threading/Tasks/AsyncEnumerableExt.cs:line 14 at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.<FirstOrDefaultAsync>g__Core|92_0[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /_/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/Operators/FirstOrDefault.cs:line 56 at Octopus.Server.Web.Infrastructure.Authentication.UserAuthenticator.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in ./source/Octopus.Server/Web/Infrastructure/Authentication/UserAuthenticator.cs:line 50 2023-02-27 22:39:39.6754 7164 23 WARN An exception was thrown while trying to establish a principal for the current request System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled. at System.Threading.CancellationToken.ThrowOperationCanceledException() at System.Linq.AsyncIteratorBase1.GetAsyncEnumerator(CancellationToken cancellationToken) in //Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/AsyncIterator.cs:line 33
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredCancelableAsyncEnumerable1.GetAsyncEnumerator() at System.Threading.Tasks.AsyncEnumerableExt.GetConfiguredAsyncEnumerator[T](IAsyncEnumerable1 enumerable, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean continueOnCapturedContext) in /
/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Threading/Tasks/AsyncEnumerableExt.cs:line 14
at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.g__Core|92_0[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in //Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/Operators/FirstOrDefault.cs:line 56
at Octopus.Server.Web.Infrastructure.Authentication.UserAuthenticator.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in ./source/Octopus.Server/Web/Infrastructure/Authentication/UserAuthenticator.cs:line 50
2023-02-27 22:39:39.6872 7164 23 WARN An exception was thrown while trying to establish a principal for the current request
System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
at System.Threading.CancellationToken.ThrowOperationCanceledException()
at System.Linq.AsyncIteratorBase1.GetAsyncEnumerator(CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /_/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/AsyncIterator.cs:line 33 at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredCancelableAsyncEnumerable1.GetAsyncEnumerator()
at System.Threading.Tasks.AsyncEnumerableExt.GetConfiguredAsyncEnumerator[T](IAsyncEnumerable1 enumerable, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean continueOnCapturedContext) in /_/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Threading/Tasks/AsyncEnumerableExt.cs:line 14 at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.<FirstOrDefaultAsync>g__Core|92_0[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /_/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/Operators/FirstOrDefault.cs:line 56 at Octopus.Server.Web.Infrastructure.Authentication.UserAuthenticator.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in ./source/Octopus.Server/Web/Infrastructure/Authentication/UserAuthenticator.cs:line 50 2023-02-27 22:39:39.6872 7164 23 WARN An exception was thrown while trying to establish a principal for the current request System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled. at System.Threading.CancellationToken.ThrowOperationCanceledException() at System.Linq.AsyncIteratorBase1.GetAsyncEnumerator(CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /
/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/AsyncIterator.cs:line 33
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredCancelableAsyncEnumerable1.GetAsyncEnumerator() at System.Threading.Tasks.AsyncEnumerableExt.GetConfiguredAsyncEnumerator[T](IAsyncEnumerable1 enumerable, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean continueOnCapturedContext) in //Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Threading/Tasks/AsyncEnumerableExt.cs:line 14
at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Linq.AsyncEnumerable.g__Core|92_0[TSource](IAsyncEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /
/Ix.NET/Source/System.Linq.Async/System/Linq/Operators/FirstOrDefault.cs:line 56
at Octopus.Server.Web.Infrastructure.Authentication.UserAuthenticator.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in ./source/Octopus.Se

Hi @kbl_sg ,

Thatā€™s no good to hear, Iā€™ll check into what happened to cause this, could you please upload the Octopus Server log file for this timeframe?

You should be able to use our secure upload portal here but feel free to let me know if there are any issues with it!

Best Regards,

Hi @finnian.dempsey Logs have now been uploaded

1 Like

Hi @kbl_sg,

Cheers, confirming Iā€™ve received them ok!

I managed to find the following warning, which weā€™ve seen come up once before:

The X509 certificate CN=XXXX was loaded but the private key was not loaded.
Furthermore, the private key file could not be located: Unable to obtain private key file name

Could you please confirm how you are creating the certificate? Is the certificate also able to be imported to the local certificate store (cert:\LocalMachine\My) ok?

This was fixed last time by adding -Provider ā€œMicrosoft Strong Cryptographic Providerā€ to the new certificate command:

New-SelfSignedCertificate -DnsName "mydomain.example.local" -CertStoreLocation "cert:\LocalMachine\My" -Provider "Microsoft Software Key Storage Provider" -HashAlgorithm sha256

Let me know if that doesnā€™t help or if you run into any other issues at all!

Best Regards,

Hi @finnian.dempsey The cert was created using your script. I can import the certificate to the local store without problems. I will try to create a new cert this evening using your extended command.

1 Like

@finnian.dempsey I have done some more testing:

• Created a new cert with your (unmodified) script 1-create-new-cert-output-var
  • Imported the cert successfull with you script 3-rotate-server-certificate
  • After import everything works and I can login to the web portal and see the new cert. under thumbprint.
  • I reboot the Windows Server 2022 machine and then I am back to the original issue where the portal hangs.

If you like I can upload server logs from before the reboot and from after the reboot?

I have uploaded 2 more logfiles

Hi @kbl_sg,

Thanks for trying that and uploading the new logs, confirming I have received them ok!

I have to admit this is really quite strange and not something weā€™ve encountered when rotating the server certificate. The logs appear to suggest that your user is already authenticated, does the portal still hang when using an incognito browser session or clearing the siteā€™s cookies? Do any other users also have this issue?

Could you please send through a HAR file of the portal hanging? That should allow us to see exactly whatā€™s going on and which request is hanging.

Iā€™ll keep digging into this and see if I can figure out whatā€™s going on, Iā€™ll keep you posted with any other suggestions!

Best Regards,