Octopus.Server.exe does not work

While trying to switch to Active Directory authentication I get an error (see below) while following the instructions.
The service does not stop and when I use the start command the service does not start. If I use the Octopus Manager, starting and stopping does work perfectly.
I looked in the logfile and I do not find any line showing an attempt to stop (or start). Even with the trace option enabled.

When the service stop instruction did not work I stopped trying the configure and admin commands.

Do I need to add some directories to the %path% ? Or do I miss some other environment setting ?
What to check next?

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus>Octopus.Server.exe service --stop
Octopus Deploy: Server version 2.4.5.46

Stopping service...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error: Kan de service OctopusDeploy op de computer . niet openen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full error details are available in the log files.
See: http://g.octopushq.com/LogFiles

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus>

translation of the Dutch Error: Cannot open the service OctopusDeploy on computer .

Hi Giel,

Thanks for getting in touch! Are you using a custom instance name, or just the (Default) instance? You can check this by looking in the top right corner of the window in Octopus Manager.

If you are using a custom instance name, you’ll need to specify that using:

octopus.server.exe ..... --instance=YourInstanceName

Paul

No we do not use an instance name, it just says ‘(Default)’

Giel

Van: Paul Stovell [mailto:tender2+d5cf43479d9debaed92cbd637cef0329acfad6221@tenderapp.com]
Verzonden: vrijdag 27 juni 2014 3:09
Aan: Giel Scharff
Onderwerp: Re: Octopus.Server.exe does not work [Problems #22357]

Thanks Giel, are there any errors in the Windows event viewer? And when you run the command, are you running it from an elevated (administrator) command prompt?

Paul

Paul,

That’s it !
I did not run it from an elevated command prompt.
Now it works as expected.

I did not understand that from the instructions. With ‘from an administrative command prompt’ you mean:
Start cmd.exe as administrator.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Giel

Van: Paul Stovell [mailto:tender2+d5cf43479d9debaed92cbd637cef0329acfad6221@tenderapp.com]
Verzonden: vrijdag 27 juni 2014 11:08
Aan: Giel Scharff
Onderwerp: Re: Octopus.Server.exe does not work [Problems #22357]

Hi Guys,

I am getting a similar error. Our custom instance name is “OctopusDeploy” so

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus>Octopus.Server.exe service --stop --ins
tance “OctopusDeploy” works fine but as soon as I run the following command to change authentication it fails.

Octopus.Server.exe configure --webAuthenticationScheme=IntegratedWindowsAuthentication --instance “OctopusDeploy”

I will figure it out but any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Couple of questions:

-What error are you seeing exactly?

• Is it con the command prompt or on the web browser?
  • Which version of Octopus are you running?

Thanks,

Dalmiro

It’s version 3. Output is below: I am trying to change authentication mode from forms authentication to integrated mode so AD users don’t have to provide credentials based on article in:

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus>Octopus.Server.exe configure --webAuthen
ticationScheme=IntegratedWindowsAuthentication
Octopus Deploy: Server version 3.0.3.2084

Error: Unrecognized command line arguments: --webAuthenticationScheme=Integrated
WindowsAuthentication

Full error details are available in the log files.
At: C:\Users\hotit\AppData\Local\Octopus\Logs
Unrecognized command line arguments: --webAuthenticationScheme=IntegratedWindows
Authentication

Hi,

This command was introduced in 3.0.13: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1848

You need to upgrade to that version to be able to use it.

Thanks!

Dalmiro