Octopus pre-req issue

Hello,
I’m running server 2019 and trying to open up the Octopus Tentacle Manager and it’s telling me that I don’t have PS 2.0 or greater installed; only issue is, I do:

powershell.exe -NonInteractive -NoProfile -Command “Write-Output $PSVersionTable.PSVersion”

Major Minor Build Revision

5 1 17763 1007

Has anyone ran into this and resolved it? I’m able to deploy to the server, just can’t open the manager.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hey Jason,

First of all, welcome to the Octopus forums!

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issues with running server manager.

I think this might be a red herring. Do you have .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed?

If you do, have you confirmed that the user running the Server installation has “powershell.exe” in the system PATH available to it?

Please let me know if that works.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,
Thanks for the reply!! With server 2019, 4.7.2 is installed by default; verified and we do have version 461814 installed.

The account I’m using is an admin account, I do see this for the system variable:
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Thanks again for your time.

Hi Jason,

My apologies, I misunderstood and thought you were saying Octopus Server v2019. Did anything change with the server/infrastructure since the last time it was used? Maybe a new antivirus, antivirus rules, group policy on the machine?

Did the manager at one time open for you, or did you install this via CLI?

Thanks,
Jeremy

No worries at all. We installed the Octopus tentacles and registered with the Octopus server via Puppet.

We’ve checked our Antivirus and there is nothing being blocked there either.

We installed manually on another server and it is opening up. Have you heard of issues like this when installing with automation tools?

Hey Jason,

That’s a new one for me.

Is there anything different between those two servers other than the installation method?

If you compare the Tentacle.exe.config in the install directory between the working one and the non-working one, are there any discernible differences?

What happens if you just try to run Octopus.Manager.Tentacle.exe from an admin command prompt, does it throw an error?

Both files can be found in the install directory, the default is C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\InstanceName

Please let me know what it turns up.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey Jason,

Also, could you please tell me which version of tentacle both servers are running?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi there. Configs look the same with expected differences, like the cert value for the tentacle. Same issue when trying to open from command prompt. I think I’ll just go through and update the tentacles.

Thanks for your assistance, really appreciate it.

Hey Jason,

You’re very welcome.

Please let me know if upgrading the tentacle version fixes it for you if you have time. It may help someone searching our forums in the future. If it doesn’t please let me know and we can continue to dig a bit more to figure it out.

I hope you have a great rest of your week if we don’t talk.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Upgraded the tentacle on one server which seemed to resolve the issue of not being able to open the tentacle manager. We were running 5.0.8 on the server when it wasn’t working and upgraded to 5.0.15 x64.

Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of your week as well.

1 Like

Hey Jason,

You’re very welcome! Thanks so much for letting me know upgrading fixed it for you.

If you’re looking to automate tentacle installation, here are some resources for the future.

https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/deployment-targets/windows-targets/automating-tentacle-installation#AutomatingTentacleinstallation-Example:ListeningTentacle has the basics of performing an automated install.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above.

I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.