Octopus.Migrator error

Hello Octopus team,

I’m facing an error on our build server when I’m trying to import a specific project with Octopus.Migrator.exe. That’s clearly system related cause I’m facing the same message with every arguments of the binary and I can’t reproduce this error on other servers.

An example with --help argument :

PS C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus> .\Octopus.Migrator.exe --help
Unhandled exception. System.Exception: Invalid logging configuration: missing target 'stdout'
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.AssertLoggingConfigurationIsCorrect()
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.InitializeLogging()
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run()
   at Octopus.Migrator.Cli.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\BuildAgent\work\eb99e602a96dd63\source\Octopus.Migrator.Cli\Program.cs:line 59

Do you have an hint ?

Best regards,

Gregory.

Hey @gregory.blanc,

Sorry to hear you’re running into this, and I believe you’re right on the money that this is something environmental. I found this old ticket where someone was hitting the same error for Tentacle.exe commands: Cannot start/stop/reinstall Tentacle 3.15.6 (but 3.15.2 works) - #4 by Shane_Gill

Which links to this issue here: Artifacts from old installations are preventing post 3.15.3 Server from running · Issue #3740 · OctopusDeploy/Issues · GitHub

Unfortunately, that’s not a very fun workaround. Are you in a version prior to the milestone (3.17.0)? Is that something you could take a look at and try?

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Best,
Jeremy

1 Like

Hi @jeremy.miller,

Issue #3740 gave me the hint I was guessing! The Octopus.Migrator.exe.nlog file have been manualy (mis)configured by one of my team mate. I restored initial values and it’s ok.

No blame but :coffee: round is on the way.

Thanks so much for super fast answer! :man_superhero:

Best regards,

Gregory

1 Like

Hey Gregory,

You’re very welcome! Thanks for letting me know you’re in a good state and for the much easier workaround!

Let us know if you need any help in the future and I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.