Octopus Migration

Hi,

Hopefully a quick one, I want to copy all my projects and packages over to our dev instance of Octopus will Octopus Migrator do the job or will I have to backup and restore the prod database onto the dev instance?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your query.

The migrator tool doesn’t copy everything (for example, releases aren’t copied) and it sounds like you want your dev instance to be essentially a copy of your production instance. If that is the case then you can follow our guide on moving your Octopus instance without actually removing the initial instance. You’d naturally need to ensure that once the move is done the instances have different hostnames, IP addresses and so on. You can find out more below:

The above option won’t be suitable if you want to only copy some parts of your production instance to your dev instance, or if you have content on your dev instance that you wish to preserve. If that is the case then we’d recommend waiting for our upcoming import/export project to be completed which should make this a straightforward operation.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the quick response, the new tool sounds like it would be perfect as ideally we want to copy several projects inc packages releases etc. Is there a ball park figure on when this tool is going to be released? If not we will be happy to follow your first suggestion.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

There isn’t a fixed date for when the new import/export feature will be available but we’re currently expecting it to be weeks rather than months. I’d recommend keeping an eye on our blog as it’ll likely be announced there first.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.