Octopus migration import API does not honor Space ID

I am using migration API import https://demo.octopus.com/swaggerui/index.html#/Migration/CustomActionResponseDescriptor_Octopus_Server_Web_Api_Actions_MigrationImportResponder_
to import the package to our internal server. However, the import API does not honor Space ID “Spaces-22”, and put all the migrated projects into Default Space “Spaces-1”. Below is the import settings. Please help.

{
“PackageId”: “MigrationAllPackages”,
“PackageVersion”: “1.0.0”,
“Password”: “ABCD1234”,
“IsDryRun”: false,
“IsEncryptedPackage”: false,
“DeletePackageOnCompletion”: false,
“PackageFeedSpaceId”: “Spaces-22”
}

Hi @tli,

Thanks for getting in touch!

I’m sorry about the confusion you’ve hit here. Unfortunately migrating projects between spaces isn’t something that’s currently possible with the migrator.

The PackageFeedSpaceId is used as a temporary storage location for the export package, and then when the items are imported they are imported based on the SpaceId property on each individual document (in your case they cam from Spaces-1 so they end up back in Spaces-1).

Adding this ability is something we’re certainly planning on implementing into the migrator in the future, and you can track the progress of this feature at the following link.

That issue also has a comment outlining a potential manual workaround to get a project into another space. I haven’t tested it myself, but might be worth testing out. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry it’s not better news! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

I developed a python client tool to migrate the whole space to another space. This tool can also migrate the space to another space on different server. I will share the tool if company allows.

Hi @tonybest,

Thanks for getting in touch. That sounds awesome, and we’d be interested in having a look at it! It sounds like it might be quite helpful to a number of users. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Here you are:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back in touch and sharing! That looks fantastic. I’m sure it will be useful to others who come across this thread, and I look forward to giving it a try myself. :slight_smile:

If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Best regards,

Kenny

@Kenneth_Bates feel free to let me know if anything is missing on clone and other functions. Clone is a bit complicate and I may miss something there. At least it could not clone logo images and packages yet.

1 Like