Octopus Migration from 3.3.2 to Latest

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our server from 3.3.2 to latest. We are not planning to have HA.

• We want to install the msi on a new server and use old database so we do not loose the historical data. Is this possible?
  • If yes, will we get back all the environments/lifecycles/releases etc in default space?
  • Can we move some of the targets to different spaces?

Thanks,
Sarada

Hi @smamidi,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

You may find our documentation for upgrading from Octopus Server 3.X to a more current version here:

I highly recommend reviewing that information before beginning the process.

You can definitely retain your historical data when upgrading. However, I do have a few recommendations to make this transition smoother:

• Using SSMS, make a backup of your SQL db before doing anything

• Do not upgrade straight to our latest from 3.3.2. I would recommend upgrading to 2020.1.22 before trying the latest.

• When you upgrade to 2020.1.22, check to make sure Octopus is functioning as intended. This would be a good time to update your tentacles via the UI to get them on a more modern version as well. Once you do this, you may want to take another SQL db backup.

• From here, you may upgrade to our latest version of Octopus Server.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or run into any trouble.

Regards,
Donny

Thanks Donny, Can u also help me understand if having the Sql server instance on the same server as octopus server is good or having it on a different server is meritorious? this will help us with our decision making…

Hi @smamidi,

Thank you for getting back to me.

We often see smaller/less busy instances of Octopus Server running on the same machine as SQL.

While functionally the same, this decision is really just a preference based on external factors such as performance/usage and whether hosting the SQL server and Octopus on the same machine conforms to your company backup/disaster recovery plans. Other things to consider would be any combination of on-prem vs hosted SQL/Octopus and the associated potential differences in latency.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more clarity. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.